Translate

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Weekend Snapshot: Number 55

I am so excited that we are beginning to get some cooler weather where I live. There are even some early signs of fall color. The virginia creeper on the trees in the woods at Shelley Lake caught my eye this morning when I was walking.
It was an absolutely perfect morning for a walk and I'm so glad I got motivated to do it. I'm having some trouble with motivation in general.
I love this time of year with early signs of fall as well as wildflowers in abundance. I wish I had more confidence in myself. If I did I would say the shot below was a happy accident. I like the way it looks sort of like a painting, although it's a case of having the great blue heron take off right as I was trying to shoot it standing still. I can't decide if it looks like a messed up shot or a fortunate event.
Another blue heron posed for me for ages but it was in the wrong spot in terms of light. The quality isn't great but it sort of works as a black and white shot.
I think the mushroom below looks good enough to eat but I'm really not confident enough to pick wild mushrooms for food.
If I lived somewhere else, I think I would have worried that the log below was really an alligator.
The group of ducks below cracked me up. They looked like they were playing ring around the rosy with one in the middle.
Because it was such a beautiful day, there were a lot of people at the lake and I try to avoid taking photographs in the direction of people. I never know if they will be bothered by it. The boy on the bike below came speeding around the corner right when I took the picture. I think he adds to the scene although I didn't know he'd be in it. You probably can't even see him unless you click inside and enlarge the shot.
For my last shot in this rather long weekend snapshot post, I'll include a duck that was giving me the eye. I think the hope was that my camera was bread crumbs.
I hope everyone has a great week ahead. To find other participant, you can go to the home of Weekend Snapshot on Monday or browse on technorati here -

28 comments:

Theresa said...

Liked the first shot the best with the fall colors starting to show off. Vibrant colors!

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

I like the 2nd picture, of the single duck. The feathers are shown ruffled in a way very soft :)
Hope your weekend was an enjoyable one! :)

maiylah said...

looks like you had a wonderful time!! what wonderful shots, Carver! :)

Rambling Woods said...

Sounds like the day I had on Saturday... The ducks probably were going in a circle to display to the female. The ducks pair up in the fall and the male protects his female until the spring mating season...I like the photo of the heron. I don't think they all have to look like a specimen shot but more to convey what you were feeling..at least that is what I tell myself..

SabineM said...

Oh I thought that was the Lochness monster! ;-)
Lovely shots!
The B&W (not really B&W) looked like a stork at first! ;-)

Anonymous said...

getting kind of cooler here on my side of the world, too ... though we don't have autumn or winter. :)

am always amazed by your beautiful surroundings, Carver. lucky you! :)

Anonymous said...

if i had to pick one favorite pic, it would be the first. it's proof that fall has arrived. :D

Dimsum Sunday
Face Painting

Kero said...

i enjoyed all the photos especially of the ducks. it is really a beautiful start of fall. Happy Monday Carver!

Juliana said...

beautiful shot. the 3rd shot is my fav.

Please drop at my Ws post also : in HERE Thanks

stan said...

fall must b a real beautiful season. I don get there here in Singapore. sigh.

Sienna said...

You have been through a fair bit you know, physically, with the surgery and emotionally and mentally, that kinda covers a bit of acreage...and sometimes we kinda run on adrenaline to get through stuff and then sometimes we just need to chill and let the motivation come back at a steadier pace...

I'm glad you went for the walk too, the pictures are fantastic and the bird taking off is a ripper, sometimes the pictures surprise us, eh. Experimenting is fun, even though we go for classic pictures I love some of the stuff we end up with anyway.
Crikey, don't eat that mushroom, it doesn't look a mushroom to me, more a toadstool thingo.

It's just started to rain here, light, but much needed.

Take care mate.

Pam

Pretty Life Online said...

I love flowers....Great catch for WS! Have a nice day ahead!!!! Mine's up too hope you can drop by.

escape said...

great time for nature tripping. ducks here are not as beautiful as the ducks there.

Indrani said...

Season change always brighten up the mood and you some nice shots to brighten up your readers' moods too! :)

Anonymous said...

great photos Carver! mine is up too...

Unknown said...

i'd like to have a weekend snaps like yours! great shots for a long walk!

Anonymous said...

colors of fall are starting to show...it's nice

MaR said...

Your walks are always so wonderful, Carver. I am happy too that the weather is getting cooler, now I have to motivate myself to go out for walks... you are an inspiration!!
I don't know about mushrooms, I would be afraid to eat a wild one, I love store-bought ones!!

Jeanne said...

all great shots

juliana said...

ah, the fall colours are beginning to show in your neck of the woods!
this is a beautiful set of photos... looks like you had a good time.

me ann my camera said...

Sometimes I think the best creativity is in understanding and perceiving the beauty of something that others might have wanted to call a mistake. It is an art to discover the true beauty of something that wasn`t planned. I like your photos and the creativity of your heron picture.
ann

Dr.John said...

I enjoyed all the pictures, as usual. Each was special in its own way but I really like the bird pictures.

dixymiss said...

A beautiful series of shots to herald the first day of fall, Carver! The turning leaves and wild mushroom are my favorites of the bunch ~ eXcellent work!

Dee said...

Lovely set of pictures - my fav was the first one where the creeper was already turning to fall colors. I'm really glad it's turning cooler so you can start walking and taking those wonderful fall pictures!! Thanks for visiting me again! Hope you're doing well.

desert dirt diva said...

god if i woke up in the morning and saw everything as beatiful as in your pictures i think i would be walking a whole lot more!

Bengbeng said...

wow.. superlative wow..the duck n the heron shot. it mus have taken a lot of luck n patience to take those shots

AscenderRisesAbove said...

what a great series of photos. i am impressed with the amount of time you spend outside and shooting.

Heart of Rachel said...

Fall must be a well anticipated season. I love the thought of the surroundings changing dramatically in color. Wonderful photos of the wildlife.