Translate

Friday, September 05, 2008

Day Five of Opening Doors

Note - If anyone early photohunters are here. The parallel live photohunt I do with SabineM is up at Snap2Days but my personal photohunt will go up here later as a combo with Day 6 of the door challenge.
Thursday morning I went to my UNC follow-up and everything checked out fine which is always a relief. Thank you for the kind well wishes left in the comments on my last post. That means a lot to me. After my appointment, I went across the street to the NC Botanical garden and did manage to photograph some doors. The hut above and below, whose doorway I'm featuring, is nestled in the Native American herb garden and is a replica of the huts in which members of the Occaneechi tribe dwelled in.This is a project constructed by Eagle Scout Joe Johnston and Chief Blackfeather of the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation. It is constructed of cedar saplings, rawhide and straw thatch. Traditionally the roof would have been made of river reed and was covered with animal skins during the winter. . . . The Occaneechi descendants have recreated a tribal village in Hillsborough, NC which celebrates their heritage, culture and lifestyle. The italics part is taken directly from the plaque beside the hut. Hillsborough, NC is 12 miles from Chapel Hill where the garden is located and the Occaneechi lived in that area along the Eno River.The door above is to a miniature house which sits on a table in another part of the garden. They don't have any information on the miniature.
The house has a little tree made of twine sitting beside it which I thought was fun. It was easier to photograph this miniature house than the full size hut. The hut was nestled in the herb garden in a way that meant to photograph the whole structure, I would have had to stand on plants. The shot below shows just how small this little house is.To find other opening doors posts, please visit Heaven in Belgium.

12 comments:

Gattina said...

Wow, that was interesting to read ! I love reading the history of native americans as they are called today ! I like the hut too but maybe not to spend a night in there, lol !

Anonymous said...

These are great Carver. It's always so interesting to see things in what might have been their natural habitat. I'm glad you got good news at your appointment.

Melli said...

OH! I could have used a very similar hut from the butterly garden! Darnit! I didn't even think of it! Goooooood goin' Carver! And I love that little house! Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Carletta said...

I love this post!
The open door to the hut is a great addition to the meme - just a great find.
The mininature door is wonderful as well.
Really nice post.

Evelyn said...

Isn't it fun to see the variety of doors people find? Love the little house in the garden.

Dr.John said...

I love doors on little houses.

juliana said...

beautiful photos from the garden and interesting info about the native americans.

so glad the tests were ok :)

Dragonstar said...

Such beautiful and unusual doors today! I love them.

Shelly said...

What fun to find doors in miniature.

Willow said...

What a cute little miniature house! If I'm ever in NC again, I'm make sure to put the botanical gardens on my 'must see' list.

Anonymous said...

Great doors, Carver. I love the historical hut, and the mini house. It sure is fun going out hunting down photo challenges isn't it.

Sienna said...

What a picturesque world you live in, I am still flabbergasted that it's summer, I know, I need to get out more often, but it's just so lush.

The native hut is similar concept to our Indigenous folk's "humpys" that they made.

Very clever people.

So glad your health check up is reassuring news, you have been through so much, you really sound like you are rebuilding your strength too. The photo trek and appointments, very good idea!

Pam