Translate

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Opening Doors Day 2

Monday was Labor Day, a U.S. holiday, and since Bill and I were both off work we went to the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. The open door above leads into the Terrace cafe, nestled in the garden. Although we ate lunch after we left the gardens, I thought the open door was appealing.From one part of the garden, you can see Duke Chapel. I zoomed in from a distance and then cropped out the door as you can see below. Not a great shot but I thought I'd throw it in. This "chapel" has 3 pipe organs and seats 1,600 people.After we left the gardens and had lunch, we went to the part of town which used to be a warehouse district for tobacco companies. After the tobacco companies left, as part of revitalizing downtown Durham they renovated the buildings to use for performing arts, businesses, exhibits, and other purposes. In the American Tobacco Historic District there is a massive water feature running through the area for several city blocks.
Believe it or not, the old train is part of the water feature. You can see the door to what I assume is the caboose above and below how it fits into the water feature.
So that's the hodgepodge of doors I saw this Labor Day: a garden cafe, a chapel, and a train door. If anyone is interesting in joining this fun challenge or wants to find other participants, please head on over to Heaven in Belgium.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first one is very inviting! And I love that "chapel" Beautiful! Looks like something you would see in Europe!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful day!! I like the open door and the doors to the Chapel. I'm with Lana though how can they call that a chapel instead of a cathedral? :0)
Love the caboose door and that great water feature...

Dr.John said...

Now that is one good collection of doors. I really liked the one on the train.

Melli said...

I'm pretty sure I would have stayed and had lunch at that little cafe!

Now... your "chapel" brings to mind a question. Exactly what defines whether a building will be a "church" or a "chapel" or a "cathedral"? I think I'm starting to feel a need for some guidelines! LOL!

That little train was a BONUS, huh?! That's cute!

Anonymous said...

What fun! I liked your weekend door collection. I would like to ride that little train over the water feature, too, I think!

Shelly said...

What great finds, that cafe looks like a neat place to stop in for lunch.

Dragonstar said...

I like the welcoming look of that wee café door, very attractive altogether.
You found a fascinating collection of doors for today.

Christine said...

Looks like you had a great time collecting the door photos. I would love to have lunch at that little cafe. I looked very quaint.

Jientje said...

I like that train door!
And I love that my favourite readers are mingled with yours,
I guess one could call that a "love train" ;-) ??

juliana said...

that's a great selection of doors! love the train and the caffe.

Evelyn said...

May all your doors open onto lovely days like this!

Carver said...

Thanks so much to everyone for visiting. Jientje, the image of a love train is great. I love it!

Sienna said...

This is amazing, what beautiful places and sights. The building does look right out of UK or Europe, not something I would even dream of associating with US, why not I don't know for sure, too much tv probably! :)

I know chapels, cathedrals and basilicas are tricky, they each have particular definitions..

Your bridge photos, omg! you must have spent a month finding bridges, just incredible, and so beautiful. The light is nice there now, really beautiful photos.

Pam

Willow said...

I think I'd like to pop in the first door for a cup of coffee. It looks so inviting.

Anonymous said...

An awesome assortment of doors! What beauty and history are shown in this post!!

Gattina said...

What a nice and interesting collection of doors !
With this door theme I see so many different once it's very nice !

Minkydo said...

I love all of your photos today, but the water feature is FANTASTIC :)

eastcoastlife said...

You had a lovely day checking out some interesting doors! The open door to the chapel attracted my attention.

Carver said...

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate it so much.