Translate

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Madam Dragonfly

I have noticed a number of dragonflies in my garden and I'm happy to have them. They feast on mosquitoes,or so I've heard, and mosquitoes love me a lot more than I love them. I've never had my camera at the ready when one of the colorful dragonfly's were buzzing about but I was ready for this one. The problem was that she was sporting a tasteful beige outfit and was far too well adapted to blend into the background. She kept landing at exactly the right spot for her natural camouflage. At first I thought her wings were rectangles because the rounded ends were the translucent part and since she kept landing on old leaves her ability to blend into her environment was pretty amazing.
I'll admit that I tried my best to encourage her to land on a red daisy but she wasn't having any of that. She would circle back around and wind up on the old leaves. The closest I got to encouraging her towards a better background was when she landed near a single blade of grass. She may not be the most colorful star in my garden but boy can she fly. That alone makes me pea green with envy, as Scarlett would say.I've been thinking more about my garden as a sanctuary. I know at various times when I've been down, the scent and sites in my garden have cheered me up. I almost always have something growing that I can bring inside too. Sometimes I get down about what I can't do anymore but that's silly considering how much I can do. I think I'm going to try to remember to go out on my deck and swing more in the morning before it gets too hot. Kicking back on my porch swing is something I used to enjoy and I don't know why I don't do that more. Perhaps I could start having my morning coffee on my deck swing and then head off for my pre-work walk. That is a good way to start off the day and as long as I don't over sleep there's no reason not to get into a routine like that.

No comments: