Translate

Monday, April 15, 2013

Nature Notes: Second week of April

The azaleas in my front yard have quickly produced their full colorful array of flowers.
naturenotesDSCN5904
The dogwood trees are also rapidly peaking.
naturenotesDSCN5899
My side and backyard azaleas are slower so I'll be posting shots of them later on.
naturenoteDSCN5809
The male cardinal above was singing in the dogwood treetop and the mockingbird below was warning people and animals away from her nest which is hidden in an overgrown azalea.
naturenoteDSCN5824 
A new culvert was installed at one of my walking places and with spring newly seeded grass and trees around it are coming to life.
naturenotDSCN5846
Many of the trees on the path leading to Shelley Lake are already leafing out.
naturenoteDSCN5850
The Canadian Geese explored a large puddle in the grassy field across the path from the lake.
naturenoteDSCN5857
The lake looks clear on this side but it's very different on the other side of the bridge.
naturenoteDSCN5860
Although it looks like mud, it's actually pollen.
naturenoteDSCN5877
It's wild to me how the pollen all accumulated along the bank on that side of the bridge.
naturenoteDSCN5878
The gulls always leave this lake in the spring to nest somewhere else but there was one solitary gull that stayed behind and was hanging out with one of the Canadian Geese.
naturenoteDSCN5884
On my deck the bluejay was enjoying a bath.
naturenotesDSCN5699
The male cardinal had the other bath and the American Robin was watching them.
naturenoteDSCN5691
A cedar waxwing joined the male cardinal.
naturenoteDSCN5709

12 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely photos! That pollen is amazing and the photo of the robin watching the cardinal and blue jay is so sweet!

DeniseinVA said...

A happy Springtime post Carver. All lovely!

NatureFootstep said...

Finally, the world looks like i want it too. :) The pollen may be messy, but it makes great patterns. :)

Leora said...

I would not know that is pollen. The birds by your feeder seem happy together.

Judy said...

Oh man am I jealous of those blooming trees :) Ours are just starting to bud out now.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for the tour in your natural habitat! Lovely!
Wil, ABCW Team.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm happy when I come here to just look at your header shot. Seriously, it takes me a couple of minutes of gazing at that before I remember why I actually came. Beautiful spring.

eileeninmd said...

I love the pretty azaleas, pretty colors. The pollen shot is amazing! I think you must have the most popular bird bath in the neighborhood. Great shots.

eileeninmd said...

I love the pretty azaleas, pretty colors. The pollen shot is amazing! I think you must have the most popular bird bath in the neighborhood. Great shots.

Cezar and Léia said...

Adorable set of pictures, I love azaleas, so beautiful and delicate flowers!
The nature there is splendid!
Léia

Rambling Woods said...

wow..really looks like spring your way..love the birds...Michelle

Arija said...

Wonderful azaleas and dogwoods. Ours here never flower so profusely due to permanent lack of water and scorching summer winds. Love your little birds too.
This must be a great time of year to take your daily walks with so much beauty around.