Translate

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Today's Flowers: Summer winding down

Most of the flowers blooming at my house are very sturdy and able to handle the horrendous heat.
todayfllDSCN4589
I like lantana because it attracts butterflies and hummingbirds. 
tdoayflowlDSCN4590
I've finally started seeing some hummingbirds and butterflies but they've been too quick for me to capture with my camera.
tdoayflrsDSCN4581
The fairy asters (shot above) bloomed early this year, they're usually a fall flowers here.
todayflobDSCN4529
The echinacea is looking pretty ragged (above) but hanging tough. I got up close and personal with the crepe myrtle bloom below.
todayflcmDSCN4535
Rose of Sharon is a very heat resistant flower.
todayflowrossDSCN4578
It's nice to have some flowers since so many have turned brown this summer.
tdoayflorsDSCN4577
The bees are appreciative of the few flowers to feed on.
tdoayflbDSCN4513
Today's Flowers will be returning in two weeks.

4 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

You still have some lovely color in spite of the weather. It's suddenly gotten hot here now too (for Oregon) and the lilies etc that were so beautiful last week are fading now. Your rose of Sharon flower looks so delicate, I am surprised it is heat-resistant.

A Colorful World said...

The hibiscus with their bee visitor are just so beautiful! I also loved the crape myrtle. About lantana....I was introduced to it when I took a horticulture class back in high school a zillion years ago, and have always liked it. Here in the desert it is a favorite flower because it grows so well in heat and in poor soil. Some people consider it a pest plant because it spreads, but that's really good when you are trying to keep your soil intact through the monsoon season. Love the wonderful yellow and orange of yours!

Sandi McBride said...

this summer has been atrocious...the only good part about been post surgery house abound is that I don't have to endure the death of my flower beds on a daily basis...Mac is doing what he can, but its a hard job for one, hard enough with two...my lovely lantana are doing well, thank God...thanks for the photos, they are awe inspiring
Sandi

EG CameraGirl said...

Such lovely blossoms! I LOVE the hibiscus!