Translate

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Today's Flowers: The gardens at Colonial Williamsburg (VA, U.S.)

I thought I'd post some of the many shots I took this Thursday, and Friday in the Gardens of Colonial Williamsburg. Since I just got home Saturday night, I won't try and put together a very comprehensive post but you can click on the links sprinkled through this post, if you would like more information.
Photobucket
The first shot is part of some general landscaping outside of the Museums of Colonial Williamsburg which caught my eye. The shot below is in the back of the Governor's Palace. Many of the gardens mix herbs, kitchen gardens, flowers and ornamental gardens.
Photobucket
The side view which includes part of what I featured in the shot above, shows how the topiary and box hedges surround the herbs and kitchen garden portions. I find that very appealing.
Photobucket
I generally don't care for formal gardens as much as wilder ones but the mix of a kitchen garden with very formal aspects is interesting to me. The garden below is on the side of one of the smaller houses.
Photobucket
Another garden area which caught my eye is formal but the way salad greens are mixed in with flowers and ornamental plants works quite well. Although there were plenty of signs of fall with some trees changing colors, others not changing yet, there were a lot of salad greens, kale, and other edible plants that do well in the fall.
Photobucket
The colonial nursery is featured in the rest of this post with photographs I took of the garden beside the sale site.
Photobucket
They feature 18th century style garden plants and also have the garden tools of that era.
Photobucket
Beginning in March each year, they sell seeds for plants which would have been found in colonial gardens. They also have some reproduction garden tools for sale.
Photobucket
To find other flowers throughout the world, please visit the home of Today's Flowers.

28 comments:

VALKYRIEN said...

What a beautiful garden! I would have loved to walk there, and see all the gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing, and have a nice Sunday.

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

Dear, the garden in Sweden.....we dont find it now...finished...all flowers ´died...or most ot them

great shots

http://graceolsson.com/blog/2009/10/only-one-survived-at-flowers-from-today/

Ebie said...

Its a beautiful garden, and I hope the cold weather does not hurt those lovely flowers!

Ebie's Flowers

Xavi said...

I like this garden,
Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice Sunday.

Bogart said...

We love the garden! Woof and Wow! I am visiting with Lui. We can almost smell the herbs and lie in the fragrant grass for life! ;-)

Bogart & Lui

Pacey said...

What a beautiful flower beds...

Randi said...

Wow...what a beautiful garden. I love box hedges - and I have plenty of them in one area of my garden.
I wish I could buy some of the reproduction garden tools!

totomai said...

a stunning garden! thanks for the stroll ;-)

PS

for more info about the photo i submitted as a guest friend, here's the link --> http://distillingthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/05/euphorbia.html

Stephany said...

A beautiful series of photos. I love the flowers but would give anything for an herb garden like that!

Nance said...

Thanks for the tour, Carver! It gave me an idea on how to intermingle edible and ornamental plants next year.

Regina said...

Beautiful blooms and wonderful captures!
Have a great week.

Carletta said...

Lovely!!
I used to live within a 45 minute of there. We used to take the school kids to Williamsburg. It's a beautiful place.

Tammie Lee said...

Wonderful garden. It must have been fun to explore the area and take in the beauty.
Spirithelpers

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful photos of these lovely gardens. Thanks for the virtual visit and for dropping by to see my Pink Diplodania mosaics.
Hugs and blessings,

Splendid Little Stars said...

How delightful! I have been to Colonial Williamsburg several times in my life. It was fun to re-visit through your blog.

SandyCarlson said...

These are very beautiful. Williamsburg is a great place for gardens.

PowersTwinB said...

What beautiful gardens! I have missed your blog so much! I've been missing from Photo Hunt for a few months, and I am trying to come back. Please come and visit me sweetie!

Rambling Woods said...

And this isn't a 'comprehensive' post. My gosh you always provide additional info.. beautiful place to visit... Michelle

Arija said...

Love the old fashioned designs and mass plantings.

Anonymous said...

Lovely garden and great pictures!!

Ascender Rises Above said...

another fun stroll through your gardens. that little cottage would be quite nice to live in - almost looks like a toy house! enjoyed your photos below too - the kids playing ball

Nicole said...

That must be a peaceful place to take a photowalk.
Lovely shots.
My Fav is the one with the fence in it.

Flowers said...

Thank you for this lovely tour around your garden- enjoyed it so much! keep on posting the blog like this.

Cezar and Léia said...

Those gardens are outstanding!Thanks for the links!
The Governor's Palace looks also wonderful. I think it was very cold there!
Welcome back sweet friend!
We miss you a lot!
Léia :)

MaR said...

What a beautiful place, Carver! and outstanding pictures.

Ayie said...

that's a very nice place, everything looks so pleasant and truly a nice retreat place

Michelle said...

Beautiful photos! I came to see if your peace globe was up yet. I'm looking forward to Nov 5th. :-)

Gel said...

Gorgeous garden photos from your trip, Carver. I hope it was relaxing for you and yours.