Translate

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Nature Notes and Signs of the Season - Pumpkins, berries, leaves and such

I have been driving past the pumpkin patch below for the past week or so, and finally managed to get caught at a stop light at the right time to catch a shot.
Photobucket
This may be the first year in my life that I don't get a pumpkin and carve it for Halloween. Then again, I still have a few days so maybe I'll change my mind.
Photobucket
The berries above are amongst my favorite signs of fall in my garden but I keep forgetting the name of the bush/vine they are on. I say bush/vine because I have it growing against my deck wall like it's a vine but it's actually a bush.
Photobucket
Holly berries always make me think of Christmas although I noticed this year they were one of the earlier berries of fall to start turning red.
Photobucket
The crepe myrtle leaves are already dropping on the ground to form their beautiful carpet. I tend to think of the crepe myrtle as being especially beautiful when it's blooming in the summer and forget what lovely leaves it has in the fall.
Photobucket
My oak trees are still slowly changing colors. More green than orange and red leaves. I kind of like the way they are slow with the autumn color because it spreads out the display.
Photobucket
The cardinal is starting to blend in better when he's in the trees. In the summer I look up and think the male cardinal is a flower, in the fall I sometimes think he's a leaf.
Photobucket
For other participants of one or both of these themes, please visit the home of nature notes and signs of the season.
Update: Thanks to Stine for telling me the name of my vine with the two tone berries is bittersweet.

19 comments:

mommanator said...

beautiful shots, I love the fall colors and really miss them!
I looked for awhile in the tree to see the cardinal before I scrolled down and said to myself 'you are so dumb'!

Squirrel said...

You have some wonderful autumn captures here.

Caron said...

Such good photos. I hope there is no weather-related significance to the holly berries turning early. [crosses fingers]

Dee said...

Lovely new photo for your blog! I like your new font, too. I always think I should change things up, but I forget.

And, as usual, I love your photos!

Unknown said...

Lovely photos, Carver. The bush/vine is bittersweet. I have some growing in my garden too.

I have holly too...but have never had more than two or three berries. LOL I think cold winters in my garden are stretching the plant's abiility to survive.

Nicole said...

Beautiful shots, as usual!
I love all the colours - so amazing!
That pumpkin patch looks like fun!
And those berries - I have never seen them before, they look cool :)

Mar said...

Beautiful post, as always, Carver!! and the cardinal is so cute!!

Unknown said...

wonderful colours!!! I enjoyed visiting your blog!! Have a nice day.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love those bright, two-toned berries! And the cardinal is such a gorgeous little thing!

Cezar and Léia said...

Magnificent and adorable mother nature!That red bird is so cute!
Léia :)

Cheffie-Mom said...

How did I not know about this section of your blog? Beautiful photos - as usual!!

Gel said...

Those berry shots are so delish as well as your entire colorful autumn captures! Happy Halloween Carver!
P.S. I could tease you that you HAVE to carve a pumpkin since your blog name is Carver, but I understand if you can't this yr. Neither can I.

dixymiss said...

Gorgeous Autumn scenes, Carver. We don't have cardinals around here, but do have flickers that are brown and white with brilliant red heads. One of my piXies just loves birds. She keeps a field guide and binoculars at the window to watch backyard winged visitors. She'll love the cardinal piX.

Ascender Rises Above said...

loved the pumpin patch... would love to have those red red cardnals around here

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful photo and gorgeous colors. What kind of berries are they? I love your shot of the cardinal.

MyMaracas said...

Beautiful photos, and the colors are so vivid! You have lots of gorgeous things to see in your neck of the woods.

Rambling Woods said...

Beautiful shots Carver..I like that the oaks are late as it really gives a pop of color against all the bare trees.. You made me think that we have a bush or shrub that has berries and I don't know what it is. I will have to go out and take a photo and try to ID it...Michelle

Rambling Woods said...

I like the header photo too

Ayie said...

everything almost all red here and so bright and lively color!