Translate

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Nature Notes: Quack, quack, quack . . .

Photobucket

Bill and I went to Lake Johnson which is across town from me. It's fun seeing the differences as well as similarities in the water birds that are found at lakes beyond those close by my house.

Photobucket

I got a kick out of how different their neck range is, as shown in the shot above. Everyone is stretching out but some have much longer necks to stretch with.

Photobucket

Back home, the big news are the dogwood trees. They are about a month ahead of where they were this time last year.

Photobucket

When I was at the NC Botanical garden, there were some signs of fall. Mostly seed heads, berries and a few trees with early signs of change. However, the Paul Green Cabin which is nestled in the woodsy part of the garden, still looks like it's in a summertime forest.

Photobucket

When I was at my office in Durham, because I've had to work on site instead of at home like I normally do, I noticed the crepe myrtles are still in bloom there. At home mine are mostly done blooming. I took the shot below out of a window at work. I guess the bottom line, in terms of what's happening in the natural world where I live, is that there is a little bit of several seasons on show.

Photobucket

Photobucket Please click for the home of Nature Notes.

13 comments:

Luiz Ramos said...

Beautiful shots and report.

DeniseinVA said...

I loved all your photos, all delightful!

Daryl said...

Canadian Geese .. they make a mess but they are very handsome .. how pretty is that tree!

Cezar and Léia said...

oh these Geese are funny and beautiful!It could be a fabulous "camera critters meme"!I also loved those myrtles.It's nice to know that you can work at home, but I think sometimes it's good as well to go to the office and see our work by different spots!
I used to be out of home, working, for about 12 hours day after day.It because my work was in another city.Crazy times my friend! LOL
Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing!
Léia

Ayie said...

that's a fruitful walk, many shots to document your day =)

happy wednesday!

Nature Notes Meme said...

One of the geese looked like the breed that Benji's companion was and he did have a very long neck. I too have seeing the fall changes even though I am resisting....Happy Nature Notes Carver.....Michelle

Gemma Wiseman said...

Interesting neck line up! Not only are they different lengths but different shapes too! Great photos!

Caron said...

Here in Iowa I have also noticed the summer/fall signs. Some things look like summer is only just beginning to fade away, yet those turning leaves look like fall is in full swing. I think it is interesting and I can't remember noticing it before this year.

EG CameraGirl said...

It's interesting to me that you feel like you are in between seasons and so do I...but I'm so much further north than you are!

Leora said...

How neat that you noticed where the dogwoods where at *last* year. I saw many crape myrtles in Cape May. It was quite cool today here in Central New Jersey - I loved it.

Cloudia said...

What lovely shots, Carver.
I enjoyed seeing those water giraffes stretching their necks...
Aloha


Comfort Spiral

MyMaracas said...

Loved seeing all the different geese! And I sure would like to spend a night in that little cabin among the ferns. Your shots are beautiful.

You certainly do have elements of two seasons in your part of the world. Around here, summer is quickly losing its grasp.

Marju said...

Wonderful pictures, I find those birds!