Translate

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Nature Notes: Birds in my garden


For this post, I've inserted all the photographs in a form that allows for clicking inside to enlarge them. The mockingbird above was screaming so loudly I went outside to see what was up. I never did figure that out unless the mockingbird was screaming so I'd come take its picture.
The cardinal above was actually trying to hide from me but its bright red feathers make that difficult. The birds are busier and busier this time of year, I suppose getting ready for winter. I notice this trend every fall.
The carolina chickadees seem to be in great abundance. I didn't even know I was shooting two (photo above) until I looked at the shot and realized I had a pair of chickadees. I thought I was shooting a single bird so fun to see I had a couple.
The carolina wren is another bird which is abundant but small and not always easy to catch with my camera. My neighbor's cat is a frequent visitor to my garden but the birds seem to successfully avoid him so I don't usually chase him off.
Please visit the home of Nature Notes for more participants.

15 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I love how you added a link if someone wanted to get more info on the birds as that is a great idea. It makes me sad to see that cat there. Since I started using a super soaker water gun, our neighbor's cat doesn't come into our yard anymore. I am a cat lover, but not around the bird feeders... I am wondering if I should suspend Nature Notes for the winter as so few folks participate. Let me know what you think Carver.. Michelle

Daryl said...

Ah the cat and its expression are the perfect end shot for this post!

Yolanda said...

I love the bird pictures . You capture the natural world so well carver.

Christy Woolum said...

I always love your bird pictures. I think because of all our cats and dogs, I just can't get close enough to any birds to catch a picture!

MyMaracas said...

You have a lot of birds to enjoy! I have often wondered how cardinals managed to survive at all, given how easy they are to spot. Maybe predators can't see the color?

Ascender Rises Above said...

hahaha - I had to laugh outright on that one. A great way to retire for the night; with a smile on my face.

MaR said...

Your bird pictures are wonderful. Your garden has such a great variety of visitors!!

DeniseinVA said...

I love your shots of these very beautiful little birds and the last one of the cat was a hoot, his expression just about said it all ;)

Unknown said...

You must have a ton of trees and shrubs in your yard to attract so many birds. You have tons of flying friends.

Caron said...

Perhaps two birds in the bush is better than one bird on a fence? I like that you got two for the price of one!

Leora said...

Wonderful birds. And the cat has character, too. I saw a boy and girl cardinal this morning, but my camera was nowhere in sight at the time. Sigh.

Ayie said...

you have many flying visitors around your garden, it's so nice to wake up and see all those little flyers =)

Ayie said...

goodnight!

Cezar and Léia said...

Smart birds, glad to see they can avoid the cat. Anyway it's always good to take an eyes of it! :)
Beautiful and informative post dear Carver, thanks a lot!
Have a great weekend, enjoy your fabulous garden!I wish I could have one !
Léia

Unknown said...

I love the mockingbird shot and how he called you to take a pic :D
The cat most def looks hungry :D

Will be with you guys on nature notes again coming next week :)
I missed you all :)