Translate

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Nature Notes: March Begins

So far March has been like much of the winter. Alternate cool and warm days and everything in between.
naturenoteswDSCN7392
The evergreen bush behind the wren above and female cardinal below makes me think of summer although hopefully that won't come too soon.
naturntcfDSCN7403
The male cardinal has a mouth full of seeds.
naturentcDSCN7413
We had snow in the forecast for Monday which didn't come but I had gotten some seeds just in case, so on the cold mornings put a few out for the birds.
naturentsqDSCN7415
It's wild to think about how I used to have dozens of bird feeders and three suet cages and at times spent more on the wildlife than on human groceries. Many years ago I stopped feeding the wildlife except for extreme cold weather and when it snowed.
naturenotpDSCN7535
This winter I haven't had to feed them at all. It was a gradual change over a number of years when I stopped my wholesale feeding of the wildlife which I'd done for decades. By five or so years ago I had eliminated all the feeders. When the weather is bad I just clear off the deck wall ledge and put out seeds there. I also have an area in my garden with a ledge where I put seeds during bad weather.
natnottrDSCN7544
I ended up letting my garden go to seed literally and as my yard got wilder and wilder there was lots of home grown food for the animals.
natnotrDSCN7555
Eventually it got to where my property provided a lot of food for most of the year except when there was a lot of snow and sleet.
naturntrDSCN7630
I'm worried about the deciduous trees that are getting too far ahead of themselves. The three shots above of the trees that are starting to look like later April worry me. I included the pine tree (four shots above) because I liked the afternoon light. Click for the home of Nature Notes.

9 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Your pictures are great and I love the branches of the trees.The cardinal is very gorgeous!
ahhh Spring! I'm anxious waiting for Spring!
Léia

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

squirrels and birds, do they go hand in hand? Like horse and carriage?

Pat said...

Your property sounds like a wonderful wildlife habitat!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Carver, you are so right that as we let our gardens get "wilder" we feed the birds naturally. That is why I took out non-native plants and now have lots of food for birds, butterflies, bees and small critters...it has been so much easier to garden and no feeders is less mess, better for birds and less dollars...great post!

Rambling Woods said...

I agree with Donna..that is the goal. I don't know if I will be able to get to that point. But the feeders are very quiet during the summer so there are enough bugs hopefully for all the little birdy nestlings..this is a great post..Michelle

i beati said...

Was a gentle winter

jewaicious said...

What gorgeous captures of nature, textures and contrasts.

eileeninmd said...

It is wonderful to grow plants, trees and flowers to attract the wildlife and provide food. They also provide shelter. Great post and I enjoyed the photos.

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

I like the way you feed the birds! Our daughter and sil do that on their acreage as well -- no feeders and when it gets very cold they just scatter seed on the ground under their black walnut tree.

Thanks for the tour of the Paradise that is your back yard.