Translate

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Nature Notes: Rain, rain, rain and more rain

I am very happy that the hot muggy weather has given way to much cooler weather which is a nice break this time of year. It is raining pretty continually but at least when it stops briefly it feels great outside. I'm not a big fan of heat so I'll take any cooler days in the summer I can get.
I was pleased that I actually managed to capture a reflection of the leaves within a single water droplet which was hanging on to a spent flower for dear life.I am not complaining about the rain. I'd rather have too much rain than too little but it does seem like feast or famine. We had a long drought from the spring of 2007 to the spring of 2008 but that is being replaced by rain, rain, rain. We're even having flash flood warnings although my house isn't affected.
The garden is still flourishing although some of my flowers and ornamental bushes are getting beaten down pretty badly.
The bird below cracked me up. Maybe it's just me but I swear I thought he was giving me a "you talking to me" look.
The damselfly or dragonfly below is practically a permanent fixture on my car antenna, returning to it again and again.I have been checking my blackberries every day and this one is getting closer and closer to being ready. I wonder if the birds will get the first ripe blackberry or if I'll have that honor.
The way these mushrooms are growing up under the rosemary it's almost like they are telling me to fix some sauteed mushrooms with rosemary, potatoes and white wine. Too bad I don't know which mushrooms are poisonous and which are safe.
I'm listening to the raindrops pelting down as I type up these nature notes and I do so love that sound.
I guess I'll end with a big old broad leaf filled with . . . . yep, you guessed it, raindrops.
Please visit the home of Nature Notes for other participants.

17 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

I think mother nature gave us these little presents like rain drops and you had your camera in hands to capture the essence of it!
Nice post Carver!Thanks a lot!
Léia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rambling Woods said...

We are getting a lot of rain here in western NY, but I understand we need it. I just love all the water drops you were able to get. I will have to try that with my camera. My coneflower have not bloomed yet. I love the bird attitude.....
Michelle From Rambling Woods

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

I hope you got the berry first!! :P

Daryl said...

Carver, this lovely (albeit wet) post is a true boost for me .. its POURING outside ...

ellen b. said...

Fabulous photos carver. The reflection in the droplet is amazing! Love the dragonfly, too! What interesting weather around this year...

Unknown said...

Oh, these shots are beautiful!
It's good to see that there are still people out there that enjoy rain :D
I can't tell good from bad mushrooms either. I even got me a book, but I never have it with me when I find a shroom.

That should be a dragonfly on you pic. Damselfies are the very slim bodied ones.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
All your photos are Awesome!!! I love that one of the dragonfly, he/she is beautiful!! Have a great day!

Sherrie
http://mygardeningwoes.blogspot.com/2009/06/nature-notes_18.html

Carletta said...

I feel like I just took that walk with you.
Lovely little surprises around your yard.
The waterdrop reflection is awesome!

My Nature Notes is up as well.

jmb said...

We need rain very badly here. Not that we are short of water but I am short of patience in dragging hoses around.
I do not bother with the lawn any more but try to keep the flower beds alive, even though all are perennial.

Good shot for the droplet and the dragonfly.

RA said...

Wonderful shots! Raindrops are my favorites, too. I find them so relaxing. The sound, the fresh air when it rains lightly... ah, very nice. I also would love to have blackberries like you in my garden. Have a great day :)

Ascender Rises Above said...

wow wow wow - your photos just get better and better. that dragonfly and that bird; they must be accustomed to your watching.

Unknown said...

Great photos--especially the water droplet! I just saw the first purple coneflower on our property last night.

Christy Woolum said...

It is nice to get back to visit again. What a fabulous series of photos! I love the drop of rain.

MyMaracas said...

We've had loads of rain too. I love the water drop photos!

Our berries are just beginning to form. Not sure yet what kind they are, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Ayie said...

I find all the captures here very inspiring =)

Dawn Fine said...

oh my goodness..the water droplet! great job!
wonderful series of photos..what a nice garden you must have.
Your dragonfly on the antenna is one of about five photos I have seen lately of dragonflys on antennas..
i wonder what they like about them?