Translate

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nature Notes: Pea Soup with a strong perfumed aroma

I have been combining my nature notes and weekend snapshot posts prior to this one but I've decided that I'd rather not focus my nature notes on the weekend. Besides the host of this fun theme, Michelle at Rambling Woods, posts her new nature notes on Thursdays. She said participants can post any day that suits them which is why I tried my combo post for a while. We've entered into the time of year where it feels like stepping out into pea soup much of the time. It's been hot and muggy although we are getting some pleasant, cooler mornings. The gardenia above is my next door neighbors. I can smell that strong gardenia aroma when I get close to the edge of my yard. In combination with the high humidity the gardenia scent makes it seem like I'm wading through a strangely perfumed pea soup.
I am getting most of my shots of the many birds, which find my wild garden a suitable habitat, when they stop by for a drink or a swim on my deck.I do get a few shots in the trees but they tend to hide in the dense foliage this time of year. I can hear them with their strange symphony of calls and song but I have to be very patients to actually see them on a limb where I can get a shot.
The advantage to photographing them on the deck is I can stay inside and photograph them through the door or windows and as long as I don't make a lot of noise, they will fly down for a drink or swim.This morning was like a breath of fresh air, literally. After a stormy night the hot humid air was replaced with much cooler morning air. I can bear the summer heat when the mornings begin with cool air. What I have trouble with is when no part of the day is pleasant.
The flowers are happy because we've had adequate rain. Even when the heat is intense if it rains during part of the day, the flowers seem happy.The ornamental grasses in my back garden are so lush I think a tiger could hide in them quite successfully.To see what is going on in other participants' natural world, please visit the home of nature notes.

13 comments:

Daryl said...

While not a fan of the gardenia, I do admire its lush/sexy looks ... and those birds, Carver, the little one all ruffled up is adorable, what a superb capture!

DeLi said...

i love th elast picture..the white blooms are adorable, and inviting

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Awesome photos and post! I love that last photo of the bird all fluffed out! Have a great day!!

Sherrie
http://mygardeningwoes.blogspot.com/2009/06/nature-notes.html

MaR said...

The flowers seem to simply adore your weather, Carver, what wonderful sights!!

RJ Flamingo said...

So that's where Catbert (the catbird who hangs out in my yard every winter) went! I know what you mean about viewing from the windows. Now all I have to do is clean them so I can get a decent shot! :-)

Great post, Carver!

Rambling Woods said...

Beautiful post Carver! It's funny that you describe the heat and humidity that way because it really fits. We are only in the lower 70's here, but are muggy and rainy. But everything is green and lush..I hope I don't find any tigers though...
Michelle From Rambling Woods

Voyager said...

I am so envious. The only Gardenias I can grow are in a little pot in my kitchen. And it is really hard to get them to bloom. Love the bird pics.
V.

Leora said...

Love looking at your birds. The birds are happy in my neighborhood, too, chirping away, but the trees are tall, and I can't always see them. As RJ Flamingo pointed out, I've also got catbirds in my Nature Notes.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Those flowers are stunning! Especially the purply pink one! But my favourite photo is the one of the little bird all ruffled up! Just so cute!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive peony you've got there. Very nice post.

Ayie said...

i love taking photos of birds, nice captures. flowers are beautiful too!

Ascender Rises Above said...

Very much enjoying the bird bath photos; very sweet. and the color...

MyMaracas said...

Beautiful set of photos! I love the gardenia, especially, just coming into its own.