Translate

Saturday, March 02, 2013

Today's Flowers and Weekend Flowers: March Begins


It's hard to believe that March is already here.
todayflowersDSCN4304
I used to think narcissus was a separate variety from daffodils.
todayflowersDSCN4236b
I later learned that Narcissus is a genus and daffodil is a common name.
todayflowersDSCN4345
To further confuse matters, narcissus is also used as a common name and jonquil is another common name for some cultivars in this genus.
todayflowDSCN4332
All Narcissus cultivars have been split into divisions based partly on genetic background and partly on color and form.
todayflowersDSCN4335
Since Narcissus is the botanical name for all daffodils, I've started using Narcissus when referring to daffodils.
todayflowersDSCN4336
Click here for the home of Today's Flowers and here for the home of Weekend Flowers

16 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

This is a great post. Very interesting and I learned a few things today. I always love your beautiful flowers too. Have a great weekend and thanks again for sharing.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm glad you explained that. I was thinking on your narcissis post before (the cold survivor) how much that narcissis looked like the daffodils we used to grow. So now I know "duh"! I just wish I'd be lucky enough to see one for real ... no matter what it was called ..these days that doesn't happen for us.

Tina´s PicStory said...

thanx for joining us with your lovely weekend flowers! :)

Unknown said...

Lovely daffodils, the colour is like sunshine.

Fra frø til blomst said...

Great post - I LOVE narcissis and have many different.

Lui said...

It really added color to the place. And it looked fragrant ;-)

Self Sagacity said...

I can't believe you found that many flowers already!

astudentgardener said...

Those daffs on the boulevard inspire me to plan some guerrilla gardening. Bulbs are such an easy way to spread gardening love in public spaces.

Jama said...

Those are gorgeous!

Indrani said...

So many names. I like the name daffodil. They don't grow here in Bangalore. :(

lina@womens perspectives said...

They are stunning flowers. Thanks for the info :)

guild-rez said...

March and spring is just around the corner.
Thank you for wonderful spring pictures!!

Krishna/കൃഷ്ണ said...

beautiful flowers

thanks

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Carver,
Thanks so much for these lovely images, this Spring energy, always beautiful!
Have a nice week dear friend,
hugs
Léia

EG CameraGirl said...

I am so looking forward to seeing narcissus bloom in my gardens! It won't be for a while yet, though.

Judy said...

I can't wait until I see flowers blooming again.