Translate

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Nature Notes: First five days of March

I'm glad I photographed the early Narcissus because many have already bent to the ground after some bitter cold weather.
naturenotesDSCN4337
Early spring flowers can handle below freezing evenings but when the temperatures drop 15 degrees below freezing there is usually some damage.
naturenoteDSCN4403
I had some bird seed left from when I fed the birds during our last little snow, so I helped them out during the big temperature fluctuations. The squirrel above got in on the free food.
naturenoteDSCN4445
I'm glad the Japanese Magnolia still has some small buds because some of the buds that were further along have turned brown.
naturenoteDSCN4455
We've had a lot of gray days so I relish the blue when it comes.
naturenoteDSCN4461
Everywhere I look there are signs of spring.
naturenoteDSCN4464
I love it when I catch a shot of the carolina wrens because they usually move too fast for me.
naturenotesDSCN4396
The warbler blended into the deck but its yellow marking makes it stand out.
naturenotesDSCN4433
The cardinals are beginning to perch in their favorite spring spots and sing out, I assume, for a mate.
naturenotDSCN4498
I love the quilted look of the sky.
naturenoteDSCN4468
There are a lot of male cardinals in my trees.
naturenoteDSCN4481  
The little birds in the next shot are pretty well hidden.
naturenoteDSCN4494
I'll end with some more male cardinals dotting the tree like flowers.
naturenoteDSCN4497

10 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your month is getting off to a beautiful start (I hope some of the narcissis make it and I'm glad the magnolia is going to.) The blue sky days must be greatly appreciated!

Karen said...

A lovely series! We have 4 Cardinal pairs that visit!

eileeninmd said...

Carver, great birds and sky shots make a lovely post. I wish I had a Yellow-rump warbler visiting my yard, you are lucky! We have not seen any sign of spring here, I am still waiting patiently. Have a happy week!

Leora said...

Ooh, warblers and carolina wrens I don't get to see. Spring is supposed to come, but instead it is getting colder. Snow?

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

like the little berries, I don't think the Cardinals ever come to New Zealand.

Anonymous said...

mimi cet écureuil

Cezar and Léia said...

So cute cardinal and that squirrel is simply gorgeous!
Ahhh delicious feeling of Spring!
Léia

EG CameraGirl said...

I love seeing your winter/spring Nature Notes because I know this is what I will be seeing here in a few weeks.

Rambling Woods said...

Your weather will be coming my way. I too have some lone male cardinals and one lone female whom I hope will choose one of those males as her mate. I am excited looking toward spring...Michelle

Mai said...

Ah, these photos are wonderful. It's a great thing to start the day (it's early morning here) looking at them, I'l keep them in my thoughts throughout the day. I'm looking for your ABC Wednesday post, but I can't help but comment, lol. So beautiful.