Translate

Monday, March 18, 2013

Nature Notes: Nature as a Gardener

Some years the red tulips bloom at the same time as the white Narcissus but this year only the tulip leaves are up.
naturenotesDSCN4949
An example of nature as a gardener is the narcissus below came up about 18 feet away from the closest bulbs I planted a long time ago.
naturenotesDSCN4959
I also had something similar happen with Helleborus.
naturenotesDSCN4927
I planted the Helleborus in the top left part of the shot above. The Helleborus below sprung up on the other side of my yard.
naturenotesDSCN4932
I've had irises pop up in the front yard when the nearest ones were in my back yard.
naturenotesDSCN4981
I think squirrels dig up bulbs and then bury part of them somewhere else so they become the gardener.
naturenotesDSCN4665
One morning I went out to shoot the sunrise and spotted a lot of birds singing in full voice.
naturenotDSCN4666
I guess everyone is calling for a mate.
naturenoteDSCN4682
Perhaps the brown thrasher below is taking an after mating bath.
naturenoteDSCN4707
I love to catch the flowering trees against a blue sky.
naturenotesDSCN4894
The first of the variety of Narcissus below are blooming in my yard.
naturenotesDSCN4928
My money plants are starting to come up everywhere because I let the seeds drop out of their white pockets in the summer.
naturenotesDSCN4930
I caught the bird below in full voice.
natureaoteDSCN4984
The periwinkle has started blooming.
naturenoteDSCN4998
The rufous-sided towhee below is hunting for food.
naturenotesDSCN4946
I noticed in our extended forecast that there is a chance of snow here next week. Usually the latest it snow in central NC where I live is early March so that would be unusual. Click for the home of Nature Notes.     

12 comments:

forevermonk said...

beautiful photos! you are an amazing photo capturer !i have changed my site url- http://exmonkchronicles.blogspot.com

Leora said...

My neighbors have Helleborus. They didn't look too good when I passed them on Sunday. I can't imagine how they feel after last night's storm.

I love your cardinal shot.

Laura said...

how beautiful Carver... no blossoms here yet, just tree buds and more snow falling down today.

Karen said...

It certainly is spring where you are Carver! How wonderful!

Rambling Woods said...

I love Nature as a gardener and your place is wonderful for wildlife.. You might get snow? I guess a lot of us are in the same snowy boat.. Michelle

Anonymous said...

d'intéressantes rencontres avec les oiseaux

eileeninmd said...

Carver, your flowers and bulbs are pretty. Between the squirrels and the groundhogs we have problems here trying to grow flowers from bulbs. Love your birds, the Brown Thrasher is cool. We are still having snow showers, sleet and rain every other day. Come on, SPRING!

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for this floral tribute to spring! It is lovely to see spring appearing all over the northern hemisphere.

Cezar and Léia said...

I imagine the sweet melody...birds singing welcoming Spring!So adorable post!
Hugs
Léia

DeniseinVA said...

A wonderful post!

A Colorful World said...

Your garden is so lovely, Carver. I hate it when the bulbs get dug away and the flowers don't reappear as expected. But you have a nice variety of things beginning to flower and show! And your bird photos are great as well!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It does make you aware that there's a whole world going on down there under the ground! I remember those surprises from when we used to garden.

Spring is on the way! The birds know.