Translate

Monday, March 11, 2013

Nature Notes: Spring approaches

There are many signs of spring including wind and cold damaged flowers.
naturenotesDSCN4514
I like the way the Narcissus dot the landscape even if they are bowing low.
naturenoteDSCN4522
I think yellow has to be the most cheerful color of them all.
naturenotDSCN4529
I wonder if my response to yellow is ingrained in genetics.
naturenotDSCN4537
By that I mean if I respond to yellow like I respond to the sun after too much rain, and also crave rain during a drought.
naturenotesDSCN4534
I know when we haven't had enough rain, I feel parched even though my water comes out of a faucet or bottle.
naturenotDSCN4557
Sometimes my responses seem to go to the core of me.
naturenotDSCN4572
I know when I've had serious illnesses or even special needs like when I was pregnant or nursing, I craved particular foods that were often ones I needed for a particular reason.
naturenoteDSCN4565
The garden shots, except for the yellow narcissus I shot in my back yard, are from a garden in a city park.
naturenoteDSCN4568
The forsythia bud below is from my neighbors yard bordering mine.
naturenotDSCN4595
The rest of the shots are from Shelley Lake which is near my house.
naturenotDSCN4618
The gulls haven't left the lake yet for their breeding places.
naturenotDSCN4610
I don't know where the gulls go but they leave sometime during the spring and don't return until the fall.
naturenotDSCN4615
There are a lot of geese and ducks year round although some individual types pass through in the fall.
naturenoteDSCN4609
The water birds haven't started getting noisy like they do in the spring, although the birds at my house are getting a lot louder.
naturenotDSCN4635
There are a lot of little signs of spring though as well as bigger ones.
naturenoteDSCN4605
I'm spotting ducks in the creek that feeds into the lake and they tend to move into these more protected areas during the spring.
naturenoteDSCN4634
The gulls were quite active when I was walking.
naturenoteDSCN4617
The cormorants are another bird that leave sometime in the spring and return in the fall.
naturenoteDSCN4632
Click for the home of nature notes            

11 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

If the love for -- and need of -- yellow is ingrained in your genes, we must be cousins! all of your pictures are lovely Carver and I thank you for sharing your beautiful early spring. The narcissus look pretty good to me even if they're bowed down. I remember a few times when Oregon rains destroyed them.

NatureFootstep said...

seems to be a nice area with many different locations. Lovely pics.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

love the last photo, looks like our mates have not arrived from New Zealand yet!

Cezar and Léia said...

The yellow flower is magnificent, you got wonderful shots!Bonjour to Spring in this adorable post!
Unfortunately here is snowing again, and I can't stand this winter!
Léia

Leora said...

I finally saw some yellow crocuses. If you have a special attraction to yellow, you would have loved these.

Glad to see spring photos - the lake ones especially warm my heart.

Sandi McBride said...

the King Alfred Daffodil has always been my favorite spring harbinger...lovely photo work as usual..thank you for sharing
hugs
Sandi

Karen said...

A gorgeous series Carver. I am craving some yellow at the moment, and would to see any kind of flower in the garden!

EG CameraGirl said...

I love it that spring has arrived in North Carolina. In just a few weeks it will be here too. :)

eileeninmd said...

Yea, Spring! Love the pretty daffodils. Mine are just starting to pop out of the ground. The photos of the lake with the gulls flying around is pretty. Great series, have a happy day!

alp said...

Unas estupendas imagenes..un abrazo desde Murcia...

Rambling Woods said...

I love taking a walk with you. I too love yellow..I will have to look that up if there is some reason we love yellow.. Happy spring..Michelle