Translate

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

At least one post per blog

 

It's doubtful that I will start blogging again but I thought I'd do one more post per blog since I first started blogging in 2005 or maybe 2006 to help cope with a stage three melanoma diagnosis. 


Gradually I started blogging more as a way to do something with the numerous photographs that I was taking and moved away from this cancer related blog to my then, new photo blog.


I don't even remember the last time that I posted to either blog but it gradually got to be too much when I was commuting to work instead of working from home.

I was able to return to working from home in 2020 and have been able to continue with that. Recently I was diagnosed with lung cancer which wasn't even on my radar. I haven't had any interest in returning to blogging as I'm still working and have my plate full. I have also not wanted anyone at work except for the people I work closest with to know about this. I think my blogs are obscure enough that it's doubtful anyone will see them. It also doesn't really matter because I'm able to hold my end up with work and have lots of accumulated time off for when I need it. I found out about the lung cancer when I had pneumonia the week of my 66th birthday (November 2023) and having quit smoking close to 25 years ago and having made it without a melanoma recurrence, I was shocked. 


However, in a lot of ways I'm far more optimistic than I was in my late 40s when I received the melanoma diagnosis. My doctor thinks the fact that I feel like working and am only minimally symptomatic works in my favor. I had my first combo chemo/immunotherapy treatment on Monday and worked on my laptop while I was receiving the infusion at the cancer center. I'm spreading out my hours somewhat but am finding it doable to continue working which I think for now is good for me.

I'm not taking much time to select these photos or words for that matter. I am amazed at how much progress seems to have been made within the medical communities both in terms of the scientific advancements and the wholistic care that is available. 


I guess this as good a place as any to end this post after all these years. 

No comments: