Translate

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Photo ops to take the edge off

I decided some time back to try to turn my endless medical related appointments into photo ops as much as possible. Today I thought I might get some snow shots when I went to my oral surgeon consultation at the Duke out patient clinic. Instead it had changed to rain which was just as well since it started as sleet and then freezing rain. I'd love a pretty snow but I can do without the ice. It ended up being a rainy, foggy day. I took a picture of Baker House where the oral surgeon's office was. Not a great shot but a reasonably attractive building.
I'm going to loose a back tooth which makes me feel ancient but I was thrilled that the lesion is gone so no biopsy needed. The biopsy part of the referral was what I was most concerned about. I assumed that the issues in my mouth would be benign but there is always that little voice in the back of my head that I have to keep telling to shut up. Fortunately I didn't even have to go through waiting around to get back biopsy results since the tongue lesion was gone. I guess that's the advantage to having it take so long to get the consultation. One issue was resolved before I ever saw the doctor. The other issue will just involve getting a tooth yanked out next month. The doc said it should be easy because the abscess has made it loose.I am continuing to take the same shots of different birds as they sip water on my deck. I wish that I could get better at bird photography. The problem is if I don't take them fast, they sense me at the windows and disperse. These shots were of the birds getting water off the ice bath a few days ago. In spite of it being a solid block of ice, they lined up and kept at it.
I've learned to wait until they finish before I get the ice out and put in liquid water. When I interrupt the birds to give them fresh water in liquid form, I've noticed they don't come back for a while. You'd think they'd realize what I'm doing after a while, and return for water that's easy to sip. It doesn't work like that. They'll take their turn at the ice and sometimes there will be a half dozen different kind of birds on the deck. However, if I bother them to get the ice out, they scatter and don't return until later. I guess they don't mind ice for their morning drink. Still, I try to make sure to give them fresh water as soon as I can do so without interrupting them.

14 comments:

jmb said...

You would think these silly birds would go south for the winter. I didn't realize it got so cold in your part of the world. I thought it was always above freezing.
Good news healthwise.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carv,
How very like you to worry about the birds drinking ice water! I am glad that you are finding ways to take the edge off of your appointments. Especially the one with the dentist...(you know how I feel about dentists, Bless their hearts.)
I am really glad that the other issue has been resolved.
Love, K.

(just have to share this one!)

THE CROCODILE'S
TOOTHACHE

The Crocodile
Went to the dentist
And sat down in the chair
And the dentist said, "Now tell me, sir,
Why does it hurt and where?"
And the Crocodile said, "I'll tell you the truth,
I have a terrible ache in my tooth,"
And he opened his jaws so wide, so wide,
That the dentist, he climbed right inside,
And the dentist laughed, "Oh isn't this fun?"
as he pulled the teeth out, one by one.
And the Crocodile cried, "You're hurting me so!
Please put down your pliers and let me go."
But the dentist just laughed with a Ho Ho Ho,
And he said, "I still have twelve to go --
Oops, that's the wrong one, I confess,
But what's one crocodile tooth, more or less?"
Then suddenly, the jaws went SNAP,
And the dentist was gone, right off the map,
And where he went one could only guess...
To North or South or East or West...
He left no forwarding address.
But what's one dentist, more or less?

-Shel Silverstein

Carver said...

Hi Jmb, Our winters are very variable. Sometimes it's quite cold (for us). But it tends to go back and forth so it can stay below freezing for a week and then be like spring and back to winter and back to spring. You never know what you'll get in the NC triangle area where I live. The NC coast has very mild winters and parts of the NC mountains can be quite cold but where I am in the center of the state is ever changing. Take care, Carver


Hey Kim,
The crocodiles toothache made me laugh. Being a dentist is not without risk. Love, C

Anonymous said...

Hey Carver great relationship you have with those cute little birds!
That is wonderful news about that lesion--I was wondering what happened with it. So you were right it was nothing, but now you don't even have to worry about it MAYBE being something!!

Carver said...

Hey Jocelyn,
It is a relief to have it resolved. Even when I know something is nothing it's hard not to have that little doubt. Take care, Carver

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

Those birds must really love you for what you've done for them :) Sweet gesture!!

Anonymous said...

Your photos of birds at the water bath are great!

Unknown said...

I love the first building so much!

Carver said...

Hi Napobaniya, The birds bring me a lot of pleasure by hanging out in my garden.

Thanks TopVeg, I'm trying to get better at bird photography but it's hard for me to photograph them except through my door if I'm quiet.

Hi Expat Traveler, I liked the building too. When I go back for my next appointment, I'm going to try to take more pictures especially if the light is better.

Anonymous said...

sorry i camre to visit late..i have been so busy i want to go hide somewhere :)

i love the pics of birds drinking from a wat u call it ..basin?

Carver said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for visiting but don't ever worry about it when you're busy. I try to visit as many photo hunters as I can but I'm finding that harder to do myself. It's fun but can take up a lot of time if you're busy.

Basin works as the word for the birds dish. Sometimes people call them bird baths. I have a bunch of different containers for birds. One is an actual stone bird bath. The one in this picture is really a container for setting potted plants in but I started using them for the birds water. I also have a couple of wash tubs out for the birds that collect a lot of rain when we get it. Take care, Carver

Christy Woolum said...

I have exactly the same problem taking bird pictures. It was such a wise idea to carry your camera and make your situation better. I get nervous if they call me back for another mammogram...you have had to deal with these doctor appointments more than me. Glad it was good news.

karoline in the morning said...

i'm thrilled to hear of some good news with regards to you, healthwise...that is indeed,possibly the most important...

the shots are wonderful as well..

((carver))

Carver said...

Thanks Karoline, I appreciate that. As ever, Carver