Translate

Saturday, July 06, 2013

Today's Flowers and Weekend Flowers: Highway and Home


This is a good time of the year for spotting flowers along the highways in my state of North Carolina.
todayflowersDSCN8899
Most of the time I'm driving and, therefore, I can't photograph them so it's fun whenever I'm a passenger to take shots along the road.
todayflowersDSCN8910
The rainy weather has helped keep the flowers looking fresh.
todayflowersDSCN8947
I particularly like the NC highway wildflower program but haven't spotted very many of them yet this summer.
todayflowersDSCN8950
Most of the flowers I've seen so far along the highways have been cultivated beds of bulbs and flowering trees and bushes but I have seen a few wildflowers growing.
todayflowersDSCN8984
Hopefully I'll be a passenger on the highway once more of the wildflowers are blooming.
todayflowersDSCN8998
 At home my rudbeckia (black-eyed-susan) are doing well.
todayflowersDSCN9017
I think my favorite rose of sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) is the one with white petals and a red center.
todayflowDSCN9121
They are beginning to bloom in my back yard.
todayflowersDSCN9213
The lavender variety was all closed up in the rain.
todayflowersDSCN9128
The pink one was wide open.
todayflowersDSCN9150
I think black-eyed-susan is such a cheerful looking flower.
todayflowersDSCN9219
Last but not least a purple coneflower (echinacea) blooming in my back yard. 
todayflowersDSCN9201

14 comments:

Judy said...

Lots of great flowers in your part of the world!!! My favourite image is the white rose of Sharon with the sunlight streaming through the petals!!!

Arija said...

Lovely array of flowers, both on the roadside and in your garden. I have tried growing both rudbeckias and coneflowers but there is something about my soil they abhor, glad you have such beauties.

Mary said...

Wonderful flowers around and in your garden! Beautiful blossoms!

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for sharing these great close-ups: and the roadside pics are really nice also. have a great day!

moni said...

Hello,
so wonderful flowers arround and in your garden. I love Hibiscus ♥ Amazing pictures!
Wish you a nice weekend,
moni

Karen said...

Oh, lovely flowers Carver! The white with red Rose of Sharon are my fave too.

Rajesh said...

Very nice flowers by the roadside.

Furries said...

You have some beautiful flowers. We just went through a terrible heat wave, so most of our flowers are looking very tired. Thanks for the tip about the big yellow cucumber. This is my first time growing cucumbers. Each year I plant something "just to watch it grow" (I don't like cucumbers) so I give them to coworkers.

lotusleaf said...

I love wildflowers too. Enjoyed looking at your photos.

SandyCarlson said...

These flowers are gorgeous. The Carolina highways are the prettiest I have ever traveled.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good for NC...that's a great program. I remember learning about Rose of Sharon from you last year. Now I know what these lovely flowers are!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous flowers!

Modern Mom said...

Beautiful blooms. Hope you'd find time to visit my Yellow Gumamela.

A Colorful World said...

GORGEOUS flowers! Lovely NC scenery. You know, I am a little homesick right now. I think this oppressive heat, with almost no rain so far this monsoon, coupled with the sandiness everywhere I look...and knowing my hubby is in FL and will be headed to Va soon, driving through states we are so familiar with and love, with scenery much like what you are showing here. Well, normally I really embrace Tucson, but not so much during the summer!