Translate

Monday, July 22, 2013

Nature Notes: Birds, a bee, a flower and trees

The summer continues to have a lot of rain and humidity.
naturenotesDSCN0078
It's still not as hot as most NC summers but the humidity makes it feel pretty warm.
naturenotesDSCN0052
The bluejays hop in and out of the bath pretty fast.
naturenotesDSCN0034
The American Robins spend a lot more time on their baths and primping.
naturenotesDSCN0014
I seem to get more shot of the adult robins this year although I've seen some juveniles.
naturenotesDSCN0008
The catbird blends into the deck.
naturenotesDSCN9997
The juvenile cardinals are frequently at the bird baths.
naturenotesDSCN9983
I love the way they look with the patches of color.
naturenotesDSCN9981
 I like the way they constantly move their head.
naturenotesDSCN9978
The mourning dove was under the rocker and it blended in so well I almost didn't see it.
naturenotesDSCN0003
The American Robin looked like it had something to say.
naturenotesDSCN9927
I think the next bird is a young brown thrasher. Their beaks are longer as adults but other than a smaller beak it looks like a brown thrasher.
naturenotesDSCN9917
The female cardinal still has a bit of dusky color in its beak so I don't think it's fully grown yet.
naturenotesDSCN9915

10 comments:

Sallie (fulltime-life) said...

The birds are wonderful and the title of your post has me humming an old ( really old) song " let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees..." Ha, they just don't make music like that any more )))

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful photographs, I like such pictures:) Greetings

Karen said...

Oh, terrific shots! I love them all in the birdbath.

MyMaracas said...

The white hibiscus and the dove shots are stellar, and you know how I love a funny, wet bird. LOL

eileeninmd said...

Great series, Carver! The pretty cloud and the hibiscus is beautiful. And great variety of birds at your birdbath. The juvie Thrasher is neat. I feel sorry for the Cardinals during their molting time. Great photos, have a happy week!

Hootin Anni said...

Wow...those are great bird photos!!

Anonymous said...

1,2,3 great takes.

I am fimilar witht the robins but they are very nice as well.

Rambling Woods said...

I am filling the baths twice a day with the hot weather, but I don't get great photos like these.... Michelle

Cynthia M. said...

Oh wow - love the photos of the juv. cardinal - what great detail on its changing colors you've captured!

Ok, I have to ask - what do you recommend for ground-based birdbaths? I've looked for something suitable, but haven't found anything yet. Are the bowls you use designed to be bird baths, or did you re-purpose them?

NatureFootstep said...

your birds seem to enjoy your bird bath. :) They are hot too.