Translate

Monday, July 08, 2013

Nature Notes: First week of July

July has been very humid so far.
naturenotesDSCN9592
The photographs in the first part of this post are from J. C. Raulston Arboretum at NCSU.
naturenotesDSCN9576
This summer hasn't been as hot so far as many summers.
naturenotesDSCN9563
The humidity has made it feel pretty hot and oppressive at times even when the actual air temperature isn't bad.
naturenotesDSCN9544
Having far more rain than usual has kept everything very green and lush.
naturenotesDSCN9535
I can't remember a prettier summer as far as the plants go.
naturenotesDSCN9493
Having rain almost every day has gotten old but it does have some benefits.
naturenotesDSCN9484
The main thing I'd like to see is a little less humidity because it slows me down so much.
naturenotesDSCN9479
I am enjoying how green everything and healthy everything is.
naturenotesDSCN9473
I started to say the big advantage of plenty of rain is how green everything is but I think drinking water would come before green vegetation. Food crops doing well is also a big benefit of plenty of rain and not too high temperatures.
naturenotesDSCN9457
I remember when we had our last drought the most unsettling part was how newspapers would say how many days we had before the reservoir that supplies my city's water would run out of water.
naturenotesDSCN9439
Even though the drought was years ago I still remember how it felt to have a daily report on how many days we had left with water unless it rained.
naturenotesDSCN9433
The American Robin on my deck looked like it had something to say.
naturenotesDSCN9391
 The female cardinal looked like she was turning her nose up at the juvenile robin in the bird bath. At the top right corner of the shot a finch has his head in the frame.
naturenotesDSCN9387
I love how soft the female cardinal's feathers look below.
naturenotesDSCN9300
The next shot is of a juvenile cardinal bathing.
naturenotesDSCN9282 
The male cardinal below looks like he's considering a bath.
naturenotesDSCN9258
The juvenile cardinal below took a long bath.
naturenotesDSCN9244
 Some birds hop in and out of the bath but others will stay in until another bird shows up.
naturenotesDSCN9099
The juvenile robin below looks like he's stretching out his legs.
naturenotesDSCN9065
The adult American Robin looks like she's had a bath and was blow dried. 
naturenotesDSCN9055

14 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Sweet photos of the birds, bet they relish the water in all this heat. I love to see the ones in ours and know they are enjoying it. Great pictures of the garden, looks like a beautiful place.
Have a great week Carver,
Denise
An English Girl Rambles

Leora said...

Enjoyed your tour of the arboretum. The robins are so sweet. I can't stand the humidity - I've been staying indoors in the middle of the day. Early morning and evening is when I'm at peace.

FAB said...

The arboretum looks like a great place to wander although I'm sure I'd not welcome the high humidity.

The temperatures have ramped up a little here (UK) after a very cool, wet spring so now we need more rain ... never satisfied!

EG CameraGirl said...

It's wonderful to be drought-free, I agree. But the humidity has been oppressive...at least her in Ontario!

moni said...

Hello carver,
amazing pictures of wonderful little birds. Love the series of bath-shots!
Have a nice day
moni

Carolina Mountains said...

I see you have had a lot of rain also. Our area looks like a rain forest. Love the shots of the birds!

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful shots of all that lush greenery, and those darling birds!

Karen said...

The humidity here has been nasty, with rain every day. But last year we had drought conditions, so I try not to complain too much. Beautiful shots of the arboretum, and I always enjoy your bird in the bath pics.

Rambling Woods said...

Lovely place to visit.. I think we have one here. I should check it out. Love the robin..it does look like it has something to say..Michelle

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Summer looks wonderful at your house! And I would love the Arboretum.

Your bird bath is such a great thing for the birds -- and for their personal photographer and her fans!

eileeninmd said...

Carver, I loved your tour of the arboretum. Everything is so lush and beautiful. And I always enjoy your birds bath time, great captures. Stay cool and have a happy week!

SandyCarlson said...

Your thoughts on the humidity and the beauty make me think of my mom's saying that you have to suffer to be beautiful. In all things....

Meghana Hassan said...

Beautiful photo series Carver, do link with My World Monday http://meghanahassan.blogspot.in/2013/07/my-world-monday-july-8-2013.html

Cezar and Léia said...

Lovely park and your pictures are great.The birds look very happy!
Léia