Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Today's Flowers and Weekend Flowers: Two Gardens


The first part of this post has shots I took last weekend in J. C. Raulston Arboretum at NCSU (Raleigh, NC).
todayflowersDSCN9432
It's a pretty large garden so these will be a smattering of shots I haven't used yet for other posts this week.
todayflowersDSCN9459
 The flowers were looking very happy about our wet summer.
todayflowersDSCN9464
Flowers have a way of brightening up gray days.
todayflowersDSCN9477
It's nice when flowers don't get burned by summer heat.
todayflowersDSCN9478 
When I'm at this arboretum I like to check out the sections that the university uses for seed trials and design projects.
todayflowersDSCN9555
It's fun to see what they are doing.
todayflowersDSCN9527
 The seed trial sections look like quilts to me.
todayflowersDSCN9522
Definitely a bright and beautiful area.
todayflowersDSCN9518
I live fairly close to this garden but don't seem to go to it very often anymore.
todayflowersDSCN9515
One reason I was glad I went last weekend is that I tend to go in the early spring and fall and miss the summer blooms.
todayflowersDSCN9506
The rest of the shots are from Grace Garden near where I park when I have to go to my employer's offices in Durham, NC.
todayflowersDSCN9681
I can't believe how fast everything is growing there.
todayflowersDSCN9659
It had only been a week or so since I'd walked around this small memorial garden but it had many new flowers blooming.
todayflowersDSCN9651
The garden was planted in memory of Grace Richardson who died in an automobile accident.
todayflowersDSCN9650
Through the years there have been memorials and tributes to other people, in addition to Grace, in this garden.
todayflowersDSCN9645
I like the memorial below. I'm assuming it's a memorial although I suppose it could be a tribute to someone still living.
todayflowersDSCN9642 

16 comments:

Jama said...

Gorgeous collection of flowers.

lina@women said...

Very beautiful garden with lots of different blooms.

Shirley said...

Thank you for sharing your visit to the gardens today. Flowers really do have a way of brightening a gray day, don't they?

I liked your comparison of the beds to quilts! If you look at them just right, you can totally see the similarity!

DeniseinVA said...

A great garden and beautiful shots. Thanks Carver, and have a great weekend :)

Rajesh said...

Beautiful garden and flowers.

Judy said...

So many great flowers!! I like seeing the beds for the seed trials! Something I had never even heard of before!! You are so right - they do look like quilts!!!

Mary said...

Wonderful flowers! And such a variety! Beautiful shots!
Have a nice weekend!

Rambling Woods said...

What a beautiful place to visit.... I love all the flowers.... Michelle

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wonderful flower places near you! Thanks for sharing. Those test gardens would be really interesting to see...and learn about. It makes me happy to think about people working on such things.

lotusleaf said...

Thanks for the lovely trip in the gardens.

Karen said...

Lovely blooms, I enjoyed the tour!

Indrani said...

Beautiful flowers along the way!

Maria @ LSS said...

What a beautiful garden! I'd like to invite you to join and share with us your Orange pics at Orange You Glad It's Friday.

Modern Mom said...

There are lots of pretty flowers. Hope you'd find time to visit Layered.

Cezar and Léia said...

I imagine the lovely energy from this place, I would like to visit there.Thanks for sharing these adorable pictures!
hugs
Léia

Sandi McBride said...

What lovely shots...you do NC proud with your photography
hugs
Sandi