Translate

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Weekend Snapshot: Number 12


The Friday after Thanksgiving is know in the U.S. as black Friday. That is the day that traditionally kicks off the holiday shopping in the U.S. and the hope of the retailers is that they will sell lots of products and be in the black as opposed to in the red.If there is one day of the year that I never go shopping it is the day after Thanksgiving. However, I did snap a photograph of the entrance to a mixed use shopping center near me, earlier this week, when I was driving home from an appointment. You may notice the wreathes on the entrance posts, marking the Christmas shopping season. This shopping center was the first mall in my town and as bigger malls were built and the one that was located here became dated, they switched over to a pedestrian shopping center as well as including town houses and a hotel. It was rather bizarre when they tore down the old mall but what they ended up with is pretty nice. I have been tempted by the townhouses they built across from the main part of the shopping center. They were selling them at a very low price to get people in at first and they are attractive with balconies for potted plants. Some older neighbors sold their house near me, and moved into one of the town houses. They told me it was great having a health club, restaurants, and shopping area all right where they lived. The older I get the more appealing that is. It's even near one of the green way trails so someone like me wouldn't lose the near by walking paths but it would be at a different starting place.I am not into rushing the Christmas season but I kind of like the peace banners in the second photograph, which another smaller shopping center has on their lamp posts. If I can possibly avoid it, I don't set foot in any large malls during late November and December but there are a lot of small shopping areas which don't have the crowds the malls do.
I also prefer grocery shopping in a small market but it is too expensive for me to do all my shopping there. If I am getting a few things, I will go to a small market near my house and I always enjoy looking at the orchids they have to tempt me on the way in. I don't buy the orchids but I generally stop and look at them. I find the older I get the less I can tolerate the crowds in terms of shopping. It's odd too because when I was in NYC for my birthday a few weeks ago, the city crowds didn't bother me at all. Perhaps it's because I wasn't driving or looking for a parking space. Also, we didn't go shopping so I wasn't dealing with crowded stores. I don't mind being around a lot of people but there's something about the harried, Christmas shopping or even crowds in large suburban grocery chains that get on my nerves. I prefer to stick to the small markets and small shopping centers whenever possible. I also remember a visit when I stayed with my sister in her Manhattan apartment and we went to the neighborhood market to pick something up, and that's really my kind of store. The neighborhood stores they tend to have in large cities, that you walk to, are similar in some ways to the small stores near my neighborhood that I like. For that matter, if I lived in one of the townhouses in the renovated mixed use shopping center, I would have a lot of the advantages of living in a city neighborhood.
The biggest advantage would be to be able to walk to most of the places I needed to go. I could take the elevator down from my townhouse and walk right into one of my favorite brunch places. I could walk across the parking lot and I'd be at a fairly small grocery store. Once they get the pedestrian bridge finished across the main road, I could walk across a bridge and I'd be at the entrance to a department store and a few steps more to the movies. Sounds like I'm ready to put my house on the market and snatch up a town house. However, if you look at the picture above, that's what the oak trees in my front yard look like at the moment. They were late changing this year, although the other trees changed early. I could never put my house on the market while I have that to greet me in the morning. So it won't be happening tomorrow.

To find other participants you can go to the home of Weekend Snapshot or on Technorati at

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! And glad you had a fab Thanksgiving weekend! :)

Happy Sunday!

Siani said...

I'm not participating in the Weekend Snapshot, but enjoyed the read. Like you, I try to use smaller markets whenever I can. My home city has a wonderful indoor market that sells all sorts of fresh produce - it's rated as one of the best indoor markets in the UK. I love to go in there quite early in the morning and have a good browse, before it gets busy. The aroma of all the freshly-baked bread, cooked meats, cheeses, flowers, cakes, fruit, etc, can be quite heavenly.

BTW, I hope you don't mind - I just tagged you for a meme over at Siani's Pot-Pourri. Don't feel obliged to participate, though - it's optional :).

Happy Sunday!

Theresa said...

Can't imagine you selling your house with your fabulous garden- that is kind of your store that is in walking distance.

When staying just outside in NYC it is always fun to walk to the shops- but I don't know if that would get old fast, and I would miss the convience of the larger stores.

Although the little health food, and produce stores are fun -we don't stop there as much due to the fact they are pricey.

And lastly I agree- no shopping on Blck Friday!

Chibog in Chief said...

great photos you did! its nice i feel like you brought me along on those places while doing your shopping :-)

Liz said...

Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing. Loved the flowers. Happy WW!

ellen said...

hey carver!
such a set of pretty and awesome shots you have!...
have a happy weekend!

ellen said...

ow by the way, i have added you to my bloglinks as ii find your site very interesting...:)
you can add mine, too!
here's my link:

http://redirect.alexa.com/redirect?http://globalexpresunlimited.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend and God bless you carver!

SabineM said...

YOU AND ME BOTH ! I stay CLEAR of all Shopping area! CAnnot deal with crowds, the way people behave, etc...
IT IS indeed BLACK FRIDAY! It is HORRIBLE! And I am also about using the smaller shops!
Gorgeous flowers shop!!!

Anonymous said...

What a charming flower store! :-)

denz said...

wow! what a lovely photo you...keep it up, a great day ahead... c",)

SandyCarlson said...

I'm with you! Ain't no place like not in the stores the day after the day we celebrate all the wonders that money can't buy.

Lovely WS. God bless.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely photos u got! i love the colours of the trees.

etteY said...

great shopping spree ha!! i love those flowers!!

tanabata said...

Those orchids are lovely and I can see why you wouldn't want to leave behind that oak tree! I love the mix of colours in it right now. Have a great week.

Christy Woolum said...

I stayed away from shopping Black Friday also. With family visiting we spent a quiet day resting, reading, playing board games, and blogging. Much less stress and cheaper too!!

Natalie said...

Looks like a great place to go shopping! :) I live so far in the boonies I have no where to go. So I didn't do the Black Friday thing either. Oh well.

PHfoodie said...

nice ws you have. you always have the colors on your photos.wtg

MaR said...

I agree with you regarding Christmas shopping...I can't stand crowds and I avoid the busy hours whenever I can.
The view of that gorgeous tree is amazing and very unique. It's all yours, how wonderful.

Heart of Rachel said...

I love the thought of shopping but I don't like crowded malls and long queues.

I love the colors of the leaves on that oak tree. A lovely sight.

Thanks for visiting.

Lynn said...

Just like you, I love looking at orchids but I don't really buy them. But they are pretty just like what you have here in your picture.

Carver said...

Thanks so much to everyone for visiting and commenting. I appreciate it and enjoy reading your comments.

Anonymous said...

wonderful capture and a post. i enjoyed reading your stories!

Anonymous said...

i simply adore your shot of that beautiful tree. and the flower shop too!

Anonymous said...

Lovely shot of the trees, It's my fave. :-)

Dan said...

hey there Carver! Yes it is true that shopping after Thanksgiving is like disturbing a bee hive when the queen is laying eggs. We keep to shopping in small areas where the people don't tend to flock like bees.

What we do is move in, get what we wanted most, then get out before everyone comes in, or drop by after the crowd thins.

This is an interesting site you have. I will place it under my blog roll for readers to walk through from. Including me.

Add me as well ok? My link is

http://redirect.alexa.com/redirect?http://changingshadow.blogspot.com

move the mouse over here to see the complete link.

im a proud supporter of alexa

Have a peaceful and swift week ahead and thank you for the wonderful photos

Anonymous said...

Those trees are just gorgeous! You take fabulous photos!

Anonymous said...

Carver, I kinda like the look of the small stores, very cozy. But if its pricey, well, maybe you just have to get what you really need. These big developers are really moving in huh? Same here in our country. I'm glad you haven't really gave in to the idea of moving, your place looks great.

Have a great week :)

Anonymous said...

nice shots! I love those red trees!
Have a great day!

**"Liza"** said...

Ohhh I didn't get a chance to shop last Friday I got to lazy,beside those store always have sales. i don't think its a different with black friday.lol..thanks for always stopping by my bloggie! ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I hate the shopping crowds as well, but I ended up having to go to Ikea on Friday. Luckily it wasn't a place that was crowded, since it is not likely that people will buy beds for someone's xmas present.

I've lived in an area like where it sounds like those town houses are, and it is definitely nice. However a tree like that would be hard to give up!

Have a great week, and thanks for the visit!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I didn't go shopping on black friday either.

That's such a beautiful tree, lovely colors

Anonymous said...

I prefer small stores too. Big one makes me dizzy; can't find what I'm looking for after walking around for quite a while! Lovely shots!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you'd be interested, but I've tagged you for a meme. :)

http://unrelentingambiguity.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/7-things-about-me-meme/

Siani said...

Just popped by to let you know you have an award waiting for you at my place.

Anonymous said...

yr post is very chatty this week :)
funny thing is when i come to yr blog i always feel like i am visiting a personal friend. u sort of grow on me :)

Anonymous said...

those are beautiful photos Carver...thanks for the hopped to my blog...

Voyager said...

I love your beautiful Oak tree. Ours have lost their leaves now.
Don't get me started about malls! I avoid them at all costs.
V.

karoline in the morning said...

oh carver!! i am so jealous of all the colors...it's been so cold here.. -23c...there's snow and not a cheery bright color anywhere...

beautiful shots



k:))

Anonymous said...

I love the flower shop..very nice indeed!

ipanema said...

that's a nice red guitar! lovely idea!

happy holidays! :)