Translate

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Late bloomers, onging foliage

I think this has been one of the more interesting falls in terms of the variety of flowers blooming and leaves changing at various times. I took the photograph above today and was shocked that the rose ended up opening into a perfect bloom. When the bud formed we were having consecutive evenings with the lows below freezing and I was sure that it would not make it to a mature bloom.The second photograph was the bud which I thought would turn brown and drop off but instead it cooperated and form a perfect blossom. There is still so much fall foliage I almost need sunglasses when I look at the trees. I looked back at photographs from last year and I'm correct in thinking that some of the fall leaves are several weeks later this year than last year. The oaks are still changing while last year they were almost finished and dropping off by this time. However, the dogwoods, maples and other earlier fall leaves where I live, changed ahead of time this year and have lingered longer.I know the drought and rain have both been factors. Although the rain we've had this fall hasn't been enough to end the drought, it has been a factor in the signals the plants have received. The roses which didn't do well this summer got a nice burst of energy from the rain, as did gerber daisies. I think it may have also slowed down the leaves which hadn't changed yet, to get some rain. I'm happy that we'll have a rainy thanksgiving. Rain, snow, sleet, at this point I don't care what we get as long as we keep adding to the reservoir which supplies my city's water supply.
I took the photograph above a few days ago in my back yard. The mix of roses and outrageous fall colors create a riotous mix on the landscape. I love the sheer audacity of so much going on in the garden and on the horizon with the trees both in my yard and in my neighbor's yard.I took some photographs around the block from my house of the trees which I see at the top of the landscape behind my trees, but which I don't see full out from my house because they are on the other side of the neighbor's house from me. For that matter, my secret garden has a privacy hedge which keeps me from seeing very much of the houses behind me, which I like. I would rather see my neighbor's trees and houses when I'm walking but have the privacy in my back garden.
With the U.S. thanksgiving day right around the corner, I have to say that besides family and friends, I am most thankful for living somewhere with a lot of trees. I love trees and need lots of them in my life. I like trees during all the seasons. The bare winter trees with their interesting structures are very appealing to me. The spring trees with buds that are pregnant with life hold such promise. Summer shade trees and then the riot of color in the fall are very nourishing to me.In some ways my neighborhood is very boring with 3 or 4 standard style house plans all built in 1968. There's the split level plan, the one story ones, the one story with garage, a few two stories and some houses which have been added on to. In general the architecture is monotonous and not very interesting. Fortunately, the tree lined streets make up for a lot in my book. We have some fabulous trees and birds and walking paths that lead to a lake and along creeks. I'm thankful for that.

11 comments:

jmb said...

These are great trees indeed Carver. The colours are lovely.

Funnily enough when I am in the East I keep looking for the evergreens which hardly exist and am longing to see them again. Of course a forest of evergreens in the rain here is mighty depressing and then it would be better to have those trees with no leaves.

Carver said...

Hi JMB, I can see how you would miss the evergreens when you go east. My brother lives in Mill Valley outside San Francisco and I was enchanted with the evergreen forests the times I have visited him. That's the only place on the west coast I've been so far. Muir Woods was a favorite part of my last trip there which by now has been too long.

Theresa said...

Your street looks beautiful with all the trees- I loved the angle of the 2nd and 3rd to the last pictures of trees.

Our roses seemed to have a second bud season this year too- so nice to still look at them outside my kitchen window.

side note, loved your sneaker picture as your your new MO- Hope that means you are feeling good.

Carver said...

Hi Theresa,
I am trying to motivate myself to walk more, thus the sneakers. Also, I got tired of my face, ha. I used to have pictures of me as a child as my profile pic then I decided on a recent one with a sun hat. I think I'll stick with the sneaker one.

Anonymous said...

The trees are wonderful - the shapes and the colours of the trees in your photos are quite beautiful. The long autumns give us time to soak them up!
TopVeg

Carver said...

Thanks TopVeg. The long autumns are a wonderful season to enjoy.

christine said...

Wow, these pictures are stunning!

Carver said...

Thanks so much Christine.

Anonymous said...

The tress and all their colours are lovely. What a beautiful set of Autumnal photograph. sara from farmingfriends

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos Carver, as usual! :) Such gorgeous colours... I sure miss that. *sigh*

I just "popped in" to wish you Happy Thanksgiving. It's not celebrated over here, but how can I not be affected with so many friends in the US of A! :)

Carver said...

Hi Sara and Sabine, Thanks so much for visiting, Carver