Translate

Monday, November 05, 2007

Mean Mad Mama - the song

If anyone is here for my weekend snapshot, that post is below this one or click here.
While I'm still 49 (yes I am being silly about the age thing), I thought that I'd post one more song video.
The song in the windows movie at the end of this post is the first song I ever wrote, but the lyrics changed depending on what was on my mind. Before I move on to my mean mad mama song, I have a photograph of my guitar strings. The photo hunt prompt for Saturday, November 10, is flexible. I won't be around for photohunters this weekend, as I'll be in Manhattan turning 50. Actually, I'll turn 50 on Sunday, November the 11th, but I won't be here for the hunt on the 10th. I liked the flexible prompt so I'm slipping it into this post. The guitar strings are so flexible that I squeezed 6 stings together to the point that it almost looks like 4 or 5. In the second photograph I didn't squeeze quite as hard so you can see all the strings clearly. Although physically I'm not very flexible at this point in my life, I am mentally far more flexible than I was when I was younger. Sometimes it works the opposite way. I have come to accept that everyone has a story and that story affects how we act and react in a personal and political sense. I find myself becoming more flexible when confronted with an opposing viewpoint to mine, the older I get. I'm fairly inflexible when it comes to the need to provide a sustainable environment for the future and to provide a safe environment (emotionally and physically) for children to grow and learn. I think universal health care is important. However, I have come to understand that how we achieve the desired ends is a subject of debate and I'm flexible enough to accept that no two people see it exactly the same way. I also accept that people I like and love can be good people and not see anything even close to how I see it. I explain some parts of the song and photographs within the windows movie. I thought I'd mention that the picture of my daughter on the swing as a child was taken on the trip when I wrote the original version of mean mad mama (1990). The photographs of people, except the group one with me and the other performers, are of me and my daughter through the years. The group photograph was taken in the mid 1990s when I was part of a project called Social Graces. All of the performers on my mean mad mama recording were part of Social Graces but the fellow to my right in the group photo wasn't part of my mean mad mama CD, which I recorded in 1998. The first photograph of me and my daughter was taken some time after 1985 which is when she was born. The last one of me and my daughter was taken February, 2007 when she was home in between finishing her undergraduate degree and leaving for law school .

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

great song Carver! To be honest, I'm not too much into blues, but I'd really love to hear this one performed by you live in some club... great stuff! :)

You're one year ahead of me in age - and with having your child too!

Carver said...

Thanks Sabine. I appreciate that. I think this is the only song I tried to do in a bluesy style and we were faking it (or I was). That was part of the problem with my calling myself mean mad mama (I used that as my performing name). People expected blues and other than the nod to that with my first song my music was a hodgepodge of styles. I probably would have done better to have picked a style rather than jump from folk to blues to alternative to cabaret. I always said if people liked one of my songs they'd probably hate the next one, LOL. Take care, Carver

Anonymous said...

Great song! I so wish I knew how to play the guitar. I own one and I tried to teach myself, but I was not good at it. I have kind of given up now...

Anyway. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Carver said...

Thanks so much Tricotine. You never know, you might find that later if you pick up the guitar again you might be able to learn more easily. I think we go in phases with things. The irony with me is I never play guitar anymore but when I pick it up now, I find I can play things I couldn't play when I was trying to play. Kind of funny. Almost like I improve by not playing. Take care, Carver

Theresa said...

Not where I thought the song was going to go:) yes mothers should unite to keep this world a cleaner, safer, greener, place for their children! I can see why you were mad-I have trouble watching the news because it raises my stress level up! I just can't believe all the stupid people sometime--ut oh your song provoked me! (always good- when you lyrics make people think!)

Hey I am flying to New York on Friday, and coming back on Monday, since my bother-in-law is getting married-maybe I'll run into you:)
Have a great time-and what a great way to celebrate your 50th!

Carver said...

Hi Theresa,

I hope you have a good time in NYC and that the wedding goes well. It is funny to wonder if we would recognize each other if we passed each other in NY. I have seen your pictures but the last one you posted you were dressed up for Halloween, ha.

I'll give you a hint, I haven't had my hair cut since the February pic at the end of the video. Not even a trim so I'll be the most scraggly haired person on the streets and it's growing like a weed. That is, unless my sister gets at me with scissors. Just kidding but she has been known to offer to trim my hair and I have let her. I hope you have an easy and fun trip.

Take care, Carver

jmb said...

Great song Carver.
This weekend for your big birthday, I'm sure you'll have a great time in the big Apple. So much to do and so much to see. Have a wonderful birthday Carver.

Carver said...

Thanks JMB, I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure it will be great fun. Take care, Carver

Anonymous said...

I always love your slide shows; that first photo is so sweet; the love between mother and daughter. And it was fun to see you in your hippie years; gave me a smile and a chuckle about my own.
I also, always enjoy how you tell us a story (a post) and weave your photos in between the words which adds a visual punch.
You are three years younger then me, grasshopper. ;-)

Carver said...

Thanks Ascender,

You made me laugh with your grasshopper comment. Seriously, it helps me feel young that so many of my friends are older than I am. Works out good for me, ha. Take care, Carver

SabineM said...

Another great one! Boy do I wish I had the creativity and THE VOICE!!!
Lovely daughter!!!
I love blues....

Carver said...

Thanks SabineM. I appreciate your kind words, Carver