Translate

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Weekend Snapshot: Number 34


Saturday morning I physically took a trip down memory lane, but first I'll begin with a shot of my newly transplanted tomato plants.Since it will be a long time before I have any tomatoes on my plants, I decided to check out a new open air farmer's market in a shopping center near me. Unlike the large state farmer's market I featured last weekend, this one is very small and the farmer's set up booths Saturday morning at 8:00 and leave at noon (or I think that's what it said).
These are hot house grown tomatoes from a small farm east of me. The one I ate Saturday night was delicious. After I left the market, I decided to go to my childhood stomping grounds since I haven't been by there in a long time and it's not far from the market at all.
I was pleased that the field of buttercups in the park down the street from where I grew up was in flower. I used to make long necklaces with the buttercups and I always enjoy seeing them this time of year. After I left the park, I drove up the street to the house I grew up in, and where my parents lived for 40 or so years. I have to admit that I almost didn't recognize the house because of the new landscaping but I really liked what the current owners had done with the front yard. The house itself from the front didn't look that different although I had heard from a family friend that a wing had been added to the back of the house.For comparison's sake, below is an old shot of the house from when I was a teenager, I believe. Although shot at a different angle, you can sort of see how the house is virtually the same from the front but the new landscape is much more involved.My last stop on my trek down memory lane was to the wrong side of the First Baptist Church. Just kidding but Bill used to joke, when people asked if we lived near my parents, that we lived on the wrong side of the First Baptist Church, but not as far as the wrong side of the railroad tracks. We did live very close to my parents, and were indeed on the other side of the big Baptist Church, before we bought the house I still live in. Bill and I met in the house below when it was two very small apartments. I was literally the girl next door. After we fell in love and married, our landlord let us knock a hole in the wall and turn it back into a single family house which is what it had been before it was a duplex. We lived there as neighbors from 1978 to 1980, and as a married couple until 1984. Kind of cool because we had two little kitchens during our early married years.
While I was snapping pictures of the house where Bill and I met, the woman who lives there came outside and asked if she could help me. I said no and explained that I met my husband there and told the story about how we were next door neighbors when the house was a duplex, and then got married in 1980, knocked a hole in the wall, and stayed there for our early married years. She insisted that I come inside and see the house and what it looks like now. It's perfect. It has been restored and improved and is a nice little house. I really like what has been done to it. So that was my Saturday morning trip down memory lane with some delicious tomatoes too.

Monday is the post day for Weekend Snapshot but I tend to post early.

27 comments:

Anna said...

Oh those pictures are so lovely, great shot and thanks for shairng..
Mine is up too:
Every Beat Of My Heart
My Nephew's Scrap Place

Barbara said...

Sometimes going back to where you used to live can be disappointing, I am glad is wasn't for you, the photos are lovely.

maryt/theteach said...

Carver, your photos are beautiful! Such lovely pictures of a place when you were young. Your shots would be good for Project Green as well.

SabineM said...

again lovely photos! I love going to places I enjoyed when I was younger....
I envoy your weekends. Mine are always so chaotic.! Wanna trade places?!
The good news is I AM FEELING better! ;-) Yeah, never thought I would again!

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

The tomatoes are growing well I hope.
Actually I live just across the street from the house I grew up in. Along the years new owners come and go in my old place and each of them renovate the place. Besides the land, I'm not sure if it's still considered my 'old' house anymore :P

Natalie said...

Going down memory lane is so much fun sometimes. :)

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool story about you & your husband. Thanks for sharing.

eastcoastlife said...

Wow, glad that you could still see the house since your childhood days. I moved many times and the houses I stayed during my childhood had been demolished.

Anonymous said...

i love those plump tomatoes! happy WS! :)

My WS Entry

maiylah said...

what wonderful shots ... and your parent's house is beautiful!
happy WS

Juliana said...

hmmm...tomatoes :D My son like tomato :D

Please check out mine Thanks

Anonymous said...

You have wonderfull place to visit this week :D

Will you visit mine Thanks

Mimi Lenox said...

What a lovely trek down memory lane on such a beautiful day. I'd forgotten about making buttercup chains....

MaR said...

That was beautiful, Carver. How lucky you got the see the house inside too, that's what I wish for when I go by our old home... I know the new owners had big plans about the place and wonder how they turned out, I can only watch from the outside.
Your tomato plants look promising!

SandyCarlson said...

Carver,
Thanks for taking us on your walk. What a beautiful area. That market looks great.

God bless.

Heart of Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing these lovely photos and memories.

Seeing your old home must have brought back happy memories. I think it was very kind of that lady to invite you in. It's always nice to meet friendly people.

Carver said...

Thanks to everyone for visiting my weekend snapshot. I hope you all have a great week.

jennyr said...

interesting! i like those houses! nice and simple. it always nice to go back to the place where you grow up, isn't it? My WS is up at this link!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carv-Frend-2-Beaglez,
I luff you becuz yew r so kind to evreebodee. Inclooding lost beaglez. I am sure that Zoeey wud write this thank you for posting her pitture on yer blog to yew herself if she wuz able to type as gud as I do. My seester, EmmaDog, and me are exstatic that she is home safe. We 'member when Emma got losted as she chased a squrrul at the park an' kept gowing. She was gone for a whole afternewn! (An' that is a long time in dog yeerz.) A nice laydee angel fownd her.
So we know how much TN Chick and her famalee are rejoysing.
I think I yoosed to live on that Memree Layne street 'cos that brik howse looks jest like where I yoosed to live. Were we naybers? How kewl is it that yew got a toor of the playce that yew and Bill met. I haff always wanted to see it. Memree Layne must be a speshul playce to vizit.
Thank yew again for being kind. I will dedikate my dessert biskit to Zooey toonite.
Luff, AbbeyDog

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does. ~Christopher Morley

AscenderRisesAbove said...

ohhhh that was a fun filled post; how cool to have the comparison.

ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress

Unknown said...

What a lovely place! I can see why you loved it! It must be pleasant place to grew up, quite and peaceful!

Buttercups and daisy are good spring flowers. I also make daisy and buttercup chain with my daughter. Having said that, we actually didn't do it yet this spring so looking forward to it.

And ohh, your tomatoes are looking healthy and sure it will produce loads of fruit. Is it fruit or veg? Not quite sure, hehehe. Anyway, sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

wow! great memories

I love your post, it seems that I wanted to go home lol!

Carver said...

Thanks so much to everyone for visiting my weekend snapshot.

Abbeydog you are such a sweet beagle and a good writer too.

escape said...

the field of buttercups is enticing. i hope that you'll get a closer picture of those flowers. looks so nice.

Lemonjude said...

All pictures are lovely and nice...

Avory said...

How great! I know which park that is ;-) Last time I was there I fell in the creek. I'm an idiot.

I like the new landscaping. I thought you were with me when I drove behind the house to see the new wing at the back? Maybe not.

The duplex!! That's so cool that you got a tour. I'll have to save that photo. If it weren't for the duplex, there wouldn't be any me, after all.

Kim said...

Nice take on the theme. I love the pillow, very cute.

Have a great day,
Elinor
http://elinorandedward.blogspot.com/2008/05/photo-hunt-108-time.html