Translate

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Nature Notes: Weird Weather Continues

When I feed the birds during cold weather, I see the nuthatches more often.
naturenotesDSCN8213
The carolina chickadees are another bird I spot more frequently in the winter when I help them out with food and water.
naturenotesDSCN8219
The tufted titmouse is another bird that arrives for winter help. I had trouble keeping warm water in the baths during the extreme weather early this past week.
naturenotesDSCN8241
The male rufous-sided towhee was having a snack.
naturenotesDSCN8245
The cormorants were on their favorite perches at the lake.
naturenotesDSCN8424
Part of the week a fair portion of the lake and creeks were frozen.
naturenotesDSCN8484
The ground went snap crackle pop went I walked on the banks for photos.
 naturenotesDSCN8488
 The ice below looks like plastic to me.
naturenotesDSCN8500
There were a lot of gulls hanging out.
naturenotesDSCN8545
 The heron was several feet away from the gulls.
naturenotesDSCN8546
 I wonder how the cormorants always manage to stake out the pilings for their perches.
naturenotesDSCN8552
 The next morning the birds watched me put out food at sunrise.
naturenotesDSCN8637
 I went on another walk at the lake to get some more ice shots before the temperatures went up.
naturenotesDSCN8718
The reason I titled this post weird weather continues is because we had close to a 60 degree difference in the warmest and coldest temperatures.
naturenotesDSCN8742
To me the strangest part was Friday night when the temperature went up instead of down as it usually does at night.
 naturenotesDSCN8774
Saturday afternoon we had very strong winds and rain so hard it sounded like hail.
naturenotesDSCN8784
 There were even tornado warnings for part of the county I live in that afternoon but I don't think any materialized.
naturenotesDSCN8806
 The sky was gorgeous on Thursday.
naturenotesDSCN8817
 If I was a few decades younger I would have been tempted to slide around on the frozen flooded bank below in my sneakers.
naturenotesDSCN8839
I could hear the female cardinal thinking, I'm ready for some fresh water please.
naturenotesDSCN8883
The rest of the shots were taken Sunday after the lake and creeks had thawed out.
naturenotesDSCN9034
The water birds were jubilant about the warmer weather although it's not going to last long.
naturenotesDSCN9038
 The picnic table in the lake made me laugh. It certainly goes to show how much flooding there was.
 naturenotesDSCN9046
The bad part about the flooding was that on the very cold days and nights, there were puddles of ice on the roads and gutters and it was necessary to be careful even though our rain was on the days when it was above freezing. My point is we didn't have snow or ice storms but there was still a lot of water from the rainy days when we had temperatures as cold as 10 degrees F (- 12.2 C).
naturenotesDSCN9074
Click for the home of Nature Notes. I'm posting early as I sometimes do.

14 comments:

Ela said...

Beautiful images of birds and landscapes. You live in a wonderful location. Around you have a lot of nature, it's fantastic.
Greetings

Mary said...

Such a beautiful landscape and so wonderful photos of birds and scenery! Absolutely amazing!

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed looking at each and every one of these photos Carver. I've never seen a Rufous Towee before. He's a very interesting bird. Have a great week :)

Rambling Woods said...

Wow...that must have been really hard on humans and wildlife .... Thanks for helping out.... Guess I had better get going on my NN post.... Michelle

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Loving every one of these pictures .. but my biggest smile is Ms. Cardinal with her quizzical look, saying 'where is that person with my fresh water?" Strange weather patterns everywhere....

EG CameraGirl said...

I always love the birds you post for Nature Notes, Carver, and you also found some fun reflections!

Hootin Anni said...

Y'know how I love birds, and birding!! Your site today was an extra special treat. Such lovely, lovely images.

Happy Tuesday Carver.

Rebecca said...

Love the Towhee - I have yet to see one around my property... Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Such a great variety of visitors to your yard! Your shots around the lake are always wonderful!

betty-NZ said...

What a wonderful variety of birds to photograph! They are just lovely, especially the cormorants on the posts!

Rambling Woods said...

Yes we too went to 50 with rain...now back to snow.... Great photo essay.... Michelle

eileeninmd said...

Lovely series of birds and photos, Carver. The ice is dangerous for walking and driving..Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Heart shots. The birds silhouettes across the blue lake are beautiful!!

NatureFootstep said...

loved the images of the cormorants each sitting on it´s pole. :)