Translate

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Nature Notes: Early January

January has already had the same extremes at either end of the spectrum, temperature wise, that we had in December.
naturenotesDSCN7637
So far the warm spells have kept Shelley Lake from freezing during the cold spells but I have a feeling that will change this week because it's supposed to get extremely cold Monday night and stay cold for a bit.
naturenotesDSCN7641
The heron above is watching for fish from the fish feeding station and the gull is also watching the same spot from a different vantage point.
naturenotesDSCN7669
The cormorants are on their favorite perches above.
naturenotesDSCN7676
I enjoy the gulls that come to the lake during the winter and leave when spring arrives.
naturenotesDSCN7680
 The junco below was watching me put food on the deck wall.
naturenotesDSCN7747
The tufted titmouse below was hopping on the wall for food and back to the tree.
naturenotesDSCN7758
 The chickadee below was another arriving and leaving quickly with a mouth full.
naturenotesDSCN7799
 The nuthatches were also getting a quick meal.
naturenotesDSCN7845
The red-bellied woodpecker staked out its eating area. The ligustrum bushes stay green year round and they look especially pretty to me when they are covered in snow but no snow yet this winter.
naturenotesDSCN7871
 The male cardinal below was keeping an eye on me from a distance.
naturenotesDSCN7896
 Can anyone tell me how the water from a bird bath can rise and form a knife like point as shown below. I've had this happen before when it goes from a moderate day to an extremely cold night. I'm baffled by it and would love an explanation.
naturenotesDSCN7910
 The next shot was one I took in my yard on the other side of the deck wall (usually I photograph the birds on the wall from inside my house). The red-bellied woodpecker and male rufous-sided towhee were having breakfast.
naturenotesDSCN7945
The female cardinal wasn't fast enough for a warm bath as the water refroze so fast after I got the ice out. I did add some more warm water later.
naturenotesDSCN7958
Although they aren't as flamboyant as the males, female cardinals have their own beauty.
naturenotesDSCN7962
I don't know if the mourning doves were pecking at the ice for water or food. On the other side of the ice were two bird baths with liquid water and there was food on the deck wall so I'm not sure why they spent so much time with the ice.
naturenotesDSCN7979
 I like the way the dove's feather below have a ruffled look.
naturenotesDSCN8014
 Below is a male rufous-sided towhee.
naturenotesDSCN8033
 The next one was having a snack further down the top of the wall.
naturenotesDSCN8064
 The squirrels are also happy to have some food.
naturenotesDSCN8079
 Next is a brown thrasher.
naturenotesDSCN8096
There are a lot of sparrows in my yard and at first I thought the bird below was a sparrow but after looking at it more closely I think it's a yellow-rumped warbler.
naturenotesDSCN8114
The female rufous-sided towhees look a lot like the males except they have dark brown feathers where the males have black feathers. 
naturenotesDSCN8129

19 comments:

Judy said...

Great series! I love the one in the first photo. I wonder if I've ever seen it before, he's pretty.

Cezar and Léia said...

The nature is in harmony, it's so nice to see the birds enjoying the good weather!
Wonderful pictures dear Carver, thanks for sharing!
hugs
Léia

Ela said...

Wonderful pictures.
On the first picture poses a real model. Greetings !

Laura said...

Love those cormorants all lined up… what a great photo!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your ice formed a stalactite (or is it -mite?). The weather is weird, but your birds are happy no matter what, thanks to you.

DeniseinVA said...

I love this series of photos Carver. Yes we're in for a chilly couple of days. Stay safe and warm :)

Leora said...

I think your birds are warning each other about the upcoming cold. Love the warbler. No idea about your icy point.

Carole M. said...

a nice variety of birds; love the boardwalk, and feel sorry for the birds when their water freezes up

eileeninmd said...

Lovely series of images, Carver.. I hope you and the birdies stay safe and warm during this cold spell. Have a happy week!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

great shots of all the birds.

Karen said...

What a great series of shots Carver! I too think the female Cardinal is quite beautiful!

betty-NZ said...

Nice shots--love the cardinal and woodpecker a lot. I'm just as baffled as you about the ice!

Anonymous said...

Great shots. Very educational! Thanks!

Jenn Jilks said...

You have such a selection of birds! Ours change with the seasons. No thrashers here!

Your ice formation is interesting. It's got to be something to do with the water expanding as it freezes and rather folding in one spot!

(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

NatureFootstep said...

nice set of birds.

Gattina said...

Beautiful bird pictures (not really for my cats) love the squirrel, so cute !

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I like the red vein of the leaf of your cover photo. When I was young, we tried to dye them with food coloring. Not very successful.

Rambling Woods said...

Great series.... You know.. I have seen the doves on the pond edge even when frozen too. They can drink,straight down without tipping their heads back so maybe they can glean little bits of water.... Hmmmm,,, going to look that up if I can.... Michelle

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite is the 'old man' in the first photo. What a character he seems to have. Dianne