Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Nature Notes: moving into mid January

The photographs from the first part of this post were taken on a recent walk.
naturenotesDSCN1019
I had a new member of the wildlife family appear on my deck yesterday.
naturenotesDSCN1014
If he hadn't scared me so bad, I could have easily taken a picture as I was on my deck shooting the sunrise and had my camera at the ready.
naturenotesDSCN0998
My visitor was a gigantic opossum and I stamped my feet to scare him off before I had registered what he was.
naturenotesDSCN0959 
My first impression was a rodent like creature as big as a cat was on my deck. Once I realized it was an opossum I regretted not taking his picture.
naturenotesDSCN0797
We've had a lot of misty foggy mornings and I could barely see the male and female cardinal above when I photographed them.
naturenotesDSCN0758
Sparrows are a frequent visitor to my deck, like the one above.
naturenotesDSCN0753
The female cardinal above looked like she was trying to talk to me. The little junco below was racing around on my deck.
naturenotesDSCN0741
When I shot the male cardinal below, I didn't even see the rufous-sided towhee under him until I downloaded the shot.
naturenotesDSCN0732
We're continuing to have huge weather swings from spring to winter.
naturenotesDSCN0724
Sometimes the temperatures can have has much as a 50 degree difference within 48 hours.
naturntDSCN0715
It is wild to need a winter coat one morning and then another day to be able to go outside in shirt sleeves.
naturentDSCN0709
The carolina chickadee below is a little bit blurry but they move so fast, I'm pleased to photograph them at all.
naturenotesDSCN0685

6 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Carver, thanks for sharing this adorable set of pictures, the nature is very blessed there, I love the cute squirrel and all birds are gorgeous!
Léia

Vores have said...

Great image series you viser.Ønsker you a good day :) Hanne Bente

Reader Wil said...

Brilliant photos!

Judy said...

Great shots! I love the reflection one on top.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely images, Carver! I do enjoy the birds at your bath!

Rambling Woods said...

That would have startled me too. Of course I have been startled by a frog jumping on my foot. I am sorry you didn't get a photo, but you got some cute ones anyway...Michelle