Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Nature Notes: Crazy Quilt

Crazy quilt pretty much sums up the weather nature provided this past week.
natunotDSCN1098
On a mild, rainy day the female cardinal above had a shower and bath at the same time.
natunDSCN1386
The next night we finally had a snow shower.
natnoteDSCN1119
I was hoping we'd get more snow than we did but it changed to freezing rain.
natnotDSCN1152
It was pretty but I'm still hoping for a big fluffy snow.
natunDSCN1301
The icy layer on top did make fun sounds when I walked through it.
natunotDSCN1276
It also stuck around longer even after the temperature was above freezing.
naturenDSCN1299
An ice layer over snow takes longer to melt.
naturenotDSCN1220
The little sparrow looked cold but was grateful for treats I put out.
naturenotDSCN1231
The one time I always try and feed the birds is when we have snow or extra low temperatures.
naturenotesDSCN1176
Some of the icy shapes clung to the leaves.
naturenotesDSCN1186
I still have piles of leaves I raked up in the fall but haven't moved yet.
naturenotesDSCN1257
There were little holes in the wintry mix which may have been from the hard freezing rain or possibly animals.
naturenotsDSCN1195
By Sunday most of the ice and snow melted and I walked at the lake.
naturenotDSCN1521
I tried to photograph a great blue heron in flight but didn't get the picture until it landed in a pine tree.
naturenotesDSCN1489
I almost never catch them in the trees.
naturenotesDSCN1490
The gulls were quite active at the lake.
naturenotesDSCN1542
The geese were foraging for food.
naturenotsDSCN1517

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

super cet oiseau à la bassine

DeniseinVA said...

I have never seen a Great Blue Heron high in a tree before. Lovely series here, very enjoyable!

Cezar and Léia said...

Splendid nature and your pictures are beautiful!
hugs
Léia

Rebecca said...

Nice winter shots!

Andrea said...

I love your photos, but most of all I am awed by those wiskers on top of the head on the tree. It was so elegant there on top!

Laura said...

what a grand montage of images Carver!

Vores have said...

Great image series showing. Can really good like heron. Wish you a good day :) Hanne Bente

Leora said...

Heron in a tree is fabulous! The gulls flying around your lake is splendid as well. Stay warm.

eileeninmd said...

Great series, Carver! I love the heron in the tree and the gull shot. Wonderful nature scenes, have a great evening!

Karen said...

A terrific series Carver. That cardinal is so pretty, and the heron...I have never seen one in a tree!

Indrani said...

Great series of shots from the nature around you.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!
Love the Great Blue Heron in the tree!!
Thank you for sharing,
Gisela.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lots of wonderful bird sightings in your changeable weather. I'm not at all sorry you missed the flight shot of the heron b/c I haven't seen one in a tree for ages and I loved your picture. When we lived in Oregon (before we sold our house) there was a heron rookery near our house and it was so amazing to see those big old things sitting on skinny branches.

Gattina said...

Beautiful winter pictures ! A hard time for birds, I love the little bath taking "punk", lol !

Pat said...

Wonderful series showing your crazy weather.

Rambling Woods said...

We too had a mixed bag..thanks for putting food out in bad weather as I know you are saving some birdy lives.. FANTASTIC captures of the heron..I love those guys...Michelle

SandyCarlson said...

So much snow! I hope the birds can take it.

Beautiful images.

NatureFootstep said...

it is soon time for them to come back. :)

A Colorful World said...

It's still SOOOO pretty! Love the berries, and the blue heron shots!