Translate

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Nature Notes: Mostly birds

The American Robins hang out in my trees year round but I don't see them on the ground much in the winter.
naturenotesDSCN9775
The squirrels have plenty of stored acorns and pecans from my trees.
naturenotesDSCN9850
I enjoy squirrels although some people think they are a nuisance.
naturenoteDSCN9838
I think the cedar waxwings are very interesting looking birds.
naturenotesDSCN9996
I caught the next American Robin shortly before it took off.
naturenotesDSCN0009
The male cardinal seemed to be fascinated with my sun dial.
naturenotesDSCN0025
The cedar waxwing was finding something to eat on my deck.
naturenotesDSCN9989
The American Robins  hogged the bird baths while the cedar waxwing watched.
naturenotesDSCN9995
I have to get out fairly early to photograph the frost.
naturenotesDSCN0411
We've had some very cold nights but so far most days the temperatures have been rising at least a few degrees above freezing.
naturenotsDSCN0412
The bird baths have had thin layers of ice for me to dump out but so far we haven't had the deep blocks of ice that I have to get out in colder winters.
naturenotesDSCN0484
The sparrow pecked at the thin ice I'd removed for awhile before getting into the fresh water I put in the bath.
naturenotesDSCN0501
The bluejay was hopping in and out of the bath.
naturenotesDSCN0515
The male cardinals are always a bright spot in winter.
naturenotesDSCN0525
The little junco was pecking at something on my deck and then glancing up for me to photograph it.
naturenotesDSCN0539
The female cardinal showed me one profile.
nature notes DSCN0578
Then she turned to show me her other side.
naturenotesDSCN0573
The next male cardinal still had some of his transitional feathers.
naturenotDSCN0610
I think his crown looks very pretty in the next shot.
naturenotesDSCN0605

11 comments:

Leora said...

I really enjoy your frost photos. Artsy. Your birds are wonderful - like they are clearly your friends.

I haven't seen a cedar waxwing - that's a beautiful bird.

Cezar and Léia said...

A very special set of pictures, I love the birds and I also like squirrels! :)
Léia

Maude Lynn said...

I think that waxwings are so beautiful!

eileeninmd said...

Carver, what a nice collection of birds. I love the Waxwings, it is an awesome visitor. Lovely photos, have a great week!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I didn't know frost looks like this.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm so jealous that so many lovely birds visit your deck. Thank you for sharing them. :)

Lorri M said...

I always love your bird photos, and especially the bathers with their feathers all wet and fluffed, splashing in the water.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Cedar waxwings are my favorite ever. But I love the cardinals too!

Rambling Woods said...

You know..I haven't taken a photo of a bird in some time except for hawks. I sit and I can hear them. I guess I need to get out.. Thank you for your support. I thought of you and how well you have done when I knew I had cancer..but this is a scary time and I feel so exhausted by the process..but knowing that it can be removed in what I need to focus on...Michelle

NatureFootstep said...

so nice to have waxwings so close. This season I have only seen them in treetops. Never at low levels. :(

A Colorful World said...

I love the cedar waxwing too. The bathing pictures are great, and that cardinal with his head cocked to the side...too cute!