Translate

Monday, December 31, 2012

Nature Notes: Photo walking on New Year's Eve

This morning the shallowest part of the lake had a thin layer of ice which formed interesting patterns.
naturenotesDSCN0260
You can't really tell from the next shot but the mallards were sticking their heads through the thin ice and finding something to eat at the bottom.
naturenotesDSCN0276
The next shot is the part the mallards hadn't broken up yet. I'm not sure what they were finding in the murky bottom.
naturenotesDSCN0267
The gulls were active over the deeper part of the water where they didn't have to deal with ice.
natnurenoteDSCN0149
One thing I like about cold morning walks is there aren't many other people around.
naturenotesDSCN0110
This is either an early nature notes or a late one since I took a break during the holidays, mostly due to browser issues.
naturenotesDSCN0152
The sky motivated me to walk because I knew it would be good for reflections over the lake.
naturenotesDSCN0162
This time of the year the gulls are very active at the lake and then they leave in the spring to nest elsewhere.
naturenotesDSCN0196  
I only saw two Canadian Geese today. After signs were posted about not feeding them, their numbers began to reduce beginning in the summer. Most years they stay at the lake in the winter but move from the water near the bridge to the brown grassy slope where I spotted two this time. Last year there were dozens of them on the slope this time of the year.
naturenotesDSCN0202
I saw several Great Blue Heron this morning.
naturenotesDSCN0211
The cormorants were on their favorite perches.
naturenotesDSCN0227
They are another bird that seem to leave the lake in the spring with a similar return time to the gulls.
naturenotesDSCN0233
I thought the pair of ducks below were rather dreamy.
naturenotesDSCN0246
The next gull let me stand very close for a shot.
naturenotesDSCN0248
I think the great blue heron looks like a teacher surrounded by school children.
naturenotesDSCN0263
In the next shot the heron reminds me of an elderly grandparent all hunched over with a long beard.
naturenotesDSCN0274
I couldn't stop photographing the cormorants with their reflections.
naturenotesDSCN0302
The gull seems to have learned the herons trick of hanging out at the fish feeding station.
naturenotesDSCN0319

17 comments:

BlueShell said...

Well done

Happy New Year, full of joy, health and God’s Blessings!
BShell

eastcoastlife said...

Happy New Year from sunny Singapore!! May 2013 bring you much joy and happiness!

Cezar and Léia said...

That second picture is awesome, I love these gorgeous ducks!
Wonderful shots!
Happy 2013 dear Carver!
Léia

Kusum said...

Thats beautiful pattern. Happy new year!

Laura said...

I've never seen a heron with a beard...spectacular shot! Happy New Year Carver!

??? said...

The cormorant reflection photo is very zen :)

Karen said...

A great series Carver. Looks chilly out there.

Leora said...

The heron are my favorites. Love seeing the tranquil water. Happy 2013!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Love all the birds, especially the two shots of the heron -- and the way you describe them (teacher and grandfather) is absolutely charming and absolutely perfect.

I am intrigued with how magical the ice looks. Great shots.

betty-NZ said...

Lots of great shots! Love the cormorants and egrets! Happy new year!

eileeninmd said...

Carver, I love all your birds. I especially like the Cormorants. Great shots. I also want to wish you all the best in 2013 and a Happy New Year!

Lorri said...

The captures are wonderful, filled with lovely reflections, tones and contrasts, and, of course the sweet feathered-ones.

DeniseinVA said...

That was a lovely walk Carver :) Wishing you a great 2013.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wow! You took tons of great photos this week, Carver. LOVE the beautiful old heron.

I've had a super busy month but plan to do Nature Notes next week. :)

Happy New Year!

Rambling Woods said...

You did take a lot of photos and I LOVE the mallard poking through the ice. I wonder what they were finding? Also love the heron and well everything. Too cold here to be out more than a couple of minutes.. Michelle

Reader Wil said...

Very interesting photos! Thanks for your comment. Happy New Year together with your loved ones! I am now waiting for my flight to Amsterdam at Singapore Airport. So still in the tropics.

Andrea said...

Happy New Year! You have so very lovely photos, i love most those standing on the posts with their reflection. I haven't experienced winter so these shots are very informative for me. If i were there i will be playing with the sheets of ice, and might try dipping my feet on them like the ducks.