Translate

Friday, January 07, 2011

Photohunters: Free Week


The photohunters prompt this week is "free week".
phfreewk2244
I realize that means we are free to select any photographs we want to.
photohuntfree2254
I decided to use the word free as a prompt because I like having something solid to work with.
photohuntfreew2247
I spent some free time at the beach in July watching the birds.
phfreewk2246
It's easy when watching birds in flight to think of them as free.
phfreewk2234
However, they are constantly searching for food and being battered by storms and severe weather.
photohntfrwk2177
I'm reminded of the line "freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" from the song "Me and Bobby McGee which was written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster and performed by Janis Joplin amongst others.
photohuntfrewk2130
Free birds have to work mighty hard for shelter and food.
photohuntfrwk2128
That said, I imagine a bird would rather be free to fly and hunt as opposed to being relegated to a cage.
photohuntfrwk2005
I realize I'm putting it all in a human context which is a silly thing to do but I'm allowing myself the freedom for flights of fancy.
photohuntfrweek2003
I would like the freedom to soar up in the air on my own steam, fly around, see the view and then return to my heated and air conditioned home with food in the pantry and an oven to cook it on.
photohunfrwk2000
For other photohunters entries for the "free week" click here.

29 comments:

Sue said...

What a wonderful take on the free week theme :) I often wish I were free like a bird. These are great shots!

LifeRamblings said...

this is wonderful. It is always a thrill to see birds flying so freely in the sky.

Cezar and Léia said...

"Free"fits very well here, these pictures are wonderful!
Léia

Annie said...

Wow, I love this post! The photos are wonderful and so are your thoughts. Now I want to hear Janis Joplin sing that great song. And go to the beach.

Have a nice weekend...sounds like more snow is heading our way!

MaR said...

Absolutely beautiful and oh, so free!!! Happy New Year to you, Carver.

Photohunt

julie said...

What a wonderful post with contrasts and correlations.

Happy New Year Carver!

Allow me to say the birds here are just lovely, considering what other states had in the past few days :(

Anonymous said...

this is how to tackle with free week. i like the message of free as a bird.

happy weekend.

Liz said...

Your photos are wonderful. Have a great weekend.

Liz @ MLC

Gizelle said...

You hit two birds with one stone on selecting your photos! :) Have a lovely week!

EG CameraGirl said...

They do appear to be free, don't they? But you're correct that they do work HARD to stay alive.

YTSL said...

A great entry. Love the photos but also the thoughts that you shared. You got me thinking of Jonathan Livingston Seagull -- a book I read decades ago and loved then but haven't revisited since! :)

Maude Lynn said...

Beautiful! I love to watch the birds fly.

jmb said...

Wonderful, wonderful photos and post Carver. I don't like to think that freedom is nothing left to lose!

Happy weekend to you.

ancient one said...

Wonderful photos.. I'm enjoying seeing what everyone is using for Free theme.

Anneke (Mudhooks) said...

Reminds me of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"...

Randi said...

So free and beautiful! An excellent idea for the theme.
Happy New Year to you!

eastcoastlife said...

I wish to be like the birds, free to fly to wherever they desire to go.

Happy New Year Carver!

Marites said...

I really like your take on this week's theme. The photos are also beautiful!! have a good weekend!

healingmagichands said...

Your take on the theme is wonderful, and I like your musings. You got some fine shots of the squadrons flying free.

http://healingmagichands.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/photohunt-free-week-rubys-obsession/

gengen said...

They are beautiful shots.. Happy hunting.

Brita said...

Great take on the theme and beautiful shots. Free as a bird....

Marta said...

Beautiful posts. Feeling 'free as a bird' is definitely a time of joy. And pelicans are one of my favorite birds. You have some great captures of theme in flight.

Unknown said...

we're in the same wavelength.:p
wonderful bird shots!

rdl said...

nice shots and nice post!

agreenearth said...

Beautiful images.

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

Very nice photos. Our Mom carries cookies around with her to crumble up for the parking lot birds. She did that today. Poor little guys must be so hungry and cold.
We enjoyed your pretty birds!
~ Napoleon

Kate said...

I miss summer...or any time that isn't 1 degree or less outside. Is nicer for sleeping all cozy in though!

Ayie said...

How I wish I can fly free like a bird...

Lui said...

National Bird Day was last Wednesday! And like you, I wish for them to live on houses instead of cages so I make birdhouses!