Translate

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Nature Notes: Continuing with the birds


I find in winter the main thing I focus on in terms of nature are the birds and the weather.
natnotewren0468
The carolina wren above actually stopped moving long enough for me to photograph it, although it blended in to the background.
natnotetim1256
The titmouse crown was so far back, I was almost unsure that it was a titmouse since I associate them with their little upward crowns.
natnotetitmseIMG_1411
The red-bellied woodpecker was moving up and down the tree with great speed but occasionally stopped.
natnotepeck1290
The black birds are hard for me to decide about, but I'm thinking starlings although possibly ravens or crows.
natnotestarlfIMG_1448
I know size is one way of determining which birds they are but without measuring them I'm never sure.
natnotestrlIMG_1441
There are so many cardinals in my yard that I frequently post shots of them.
natnotefecar0515
I never tire of watching the cardinals because they have such a range of expressions.
natnotemalcar0525
The bird below almost looks like a robin but it's hard to tell in the shot below what it is.
natnotebrd1318
The rufous-sided towhee is one that's easy to identify with it's patch work look.
natnotetowhee1222
I think blue jays are very spiffy looking with their brilliant blue feathers.
natnotebluej1381
We've had quite a range of temperatures. There was still some snow on the ground that hadn't melted on New Year's Eve but the first day of the year was like spring and melted the last of it.
natnotetwbr1372
We've returned to quite cold nights with the temperature inching above freezing during the day.
natnotebrdbth0550
Click here for the home of Nature Notes.

4 comments:

Leora said...

Lovely collection of birds. I will just enjoy yours; it's too hard for me to find much in nature (in this weather and with my current schedule).

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Carver,
your pictures are beautiful!You know so much about birds, thanks for sharing!
Léia

Rambling Woods said...

Hmmm...I am thinking crows because of the length of the wings, but I could be wrong. The photo does look like a robin and I won't be seeing any till spring..Love to see the birds that are in your area..One bright spot in winter...Michelle

Ayie said...

There are so many b irds there to see, it's very nice waking up also to theirsweet chirping in the morning.