Translate

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Dona Nobis Pacem - Blog Blast for Peace 2009

Dona Nobis Pacem! I was at a loss this year about what I wanted to do with my peace globe to personalize it and what I wanted to write about for Mimi's 2009 Blog Blast for Peace. Then it struck me that this would be a good time to highlight a foundation which brings me hope. There is so much to be depressed and discouraged about that sometimes I need to remind myself of the ways people around the world do connect for peaceful purposes. One such organization is Playing for Change - Peace through Music. From their site - "Playing for Change is a multimedia movement created to inspire, connect, and bring peace to the world through music. The idea for this project arose from a common belief that music has the power to break down boundaries and overcome distances between people. No matter whether people come from different geographic, political, economic, spiritual or ideological backgrounds, music has the universal power to transcend and unite us as one human race. And with this truth firmly fixed in our minds, we set out to share it with the world."I first found out about them from a wonderful video Stand By Me with musicians filmed singing and playing the song in different parts of the world. Since I've posted that video before and have seen it on other sites, I was going to embed a couple of other videos, although you can find them all at the playing for change site.
Unfortunately blogger isn't letting me embed the videos but I hope you will go to the links if you have time. They are both fairly short. First you can see a video about the music school the foundation built in South Africa for children. Next is a performance of Don't Worry Playing for Change . Also if you haven't seen the Stand by Me video before I strongly recommend it.

If anyone wonders about the photographs I scattered through this post, I had thought I'd be able to embed videos which would be my visuals. When that didn't work I just inserted some of my fairly recent photos. The one with mileage markers was taken at a park in Durham, NC, U.S. and it struck me how there were markers for places around the world.
Please visit Mimi Writes the home of Blog Blast for Peace on November 5. Dona nobis pacem.

25 comments:

mommanator said...

love the music & the post!

storyteller said...

Marvelous post ;-)
I used music as one of my themes last year and I love the Playing for Change project. I'm participating on all 4 of my blogs ... just because ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

jmb said...

Wonderful idea for this post Carver and thanks for introducing me to this group.
My globe will be up at just after midnight.
Peace be with you.

Carletta said...

Music is a universal language. What a wonderful movement. Thanks for sharing it Carver.
Have a peaceful day!

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello sweet Carver,
Thanks so much for the links and this beautiful post, I will search about!
God bless you
Léia :)

julie said...

Music, as I learned when i was younger, is a universal language that knows no boundaries.

Lovely post Carver,peace to you and yours.

secret agent woman said...

I like the photos you embedded in place of the videos. Peace to you on this day!

Mojo said...

I already commented on your other Blog, but I'll say it again. Groups that use whatever their special skill or talent is to be a positive force need to be relentlessly promoted and enthusiastically celebrated. There are certainly enough groups out there working the other side of the aisle.

Thanks for letting us in on the group. And unless there's something truly odd about your template, I can probably help you with the embedded videos if you still want to try putting them up. If not, your splendid photos are certainly peaceful enough images!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Thank you for participating in the BlogBlast For PEACE!
Everyone of my Peace Globes has centered around lyrics...

I thank you for cluing me into the Playing For Change Site...I will be spending much time there indeed.

VinnyBond

Anndi said...

Music is universal and is a part of our humanity... beautifully done, Carver.

May Peace find us all.

Marilyn said...

I have seen some of those videos... hopefully I can come back and follow the links to the rest of them. They are indeed inspirational.

Willa said...

Peace to you and to your family. :)

A. @ A Changing Life said...

I have seen the Stand By Me video before, but it still sends a tingle down my spine. What a wonderful idea - peace through music!

MaR said...

Beautiful post, Carver! Peace to you and yours. Always!

j said...

The photos that you used were great. People connecting for peaceful purposes... I like the way that sounds.

PEACE.

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks, Carver, for telling me about Playing for Change. I will make it my business to go visit... Peace to you and yours this day! :)

Travis Cody said...

I've heard of this foundation and I'm glad you featured it. Music is universal and brings us together.

Peace to you and yours!

Ayie said...

such a good post! thanks!

Tarheel Rambler said...

Thanks for the links to the videos, Carver. Sorry you couldn't join us this afternoon at Queen Mimi's. We had some technical difficulties, but it was still great to meet some of the other Tarheel bloggers.

Happy Peace Day!

Ferd said...

I have not seen these videos, so I will, and thanks for the info!
Peace, Carver!

Karen Jo said...

I also believe that music is the one universal language and that it can be instrumental in bringing about peace among the peoples of the world. Peace to you and yours.

Rambling Woods said...

I will go visit the links. I had not heard of this before but it makes sense...I love your peace globe....

Julia Phillips Smith said...

My blog blast post talks about exactly that - music unites, especially across borders and idealogical divides. I got such a smile on my face as I read through your discovery of Playing for Change.

Peace to you, Carver.

Mimi Lenox said...

I always love your images, Carver, and look forward to your peace post each year. I will definitely view the videos...I think you might be onto something with those markers. A peace globe on each one would be splendid.
Smile.

Happy BlogBlast For Peace Day.
I hope you can join us next year!

モバゲー said...

日本最大、モバゲーより面白いであい系スタービーチがついに復活、進化を遂げた新生スタビをやってみませんか?趣味の合う理想のパートナー探しの手助け、合コンパーティー等も随時開催しています。楽しかった頃のスタビで遊んでみよう