Translate

Thursday, September 21, 2006

the sun

Been thinking about the sun recently. I've even been letting myself get some bright sunshine full on my face for 10 or 15 minutes on these fall days and it feels great. I took this photograph at a family get together in Key West in March of 2002 and I love the way the sun is dropping into the ocean. I don't like the way our culture has ending up with tanning as a fashion statement. Tanning can be a fashion statement which results in non melanoma skin cancer for some, and metastatic melanoma for others. I'm perfectly comfortable with my skin being much lighter than it has ever been. I don't even like to see people suntanning on the beach and I can't stand it with young people. However, that said, I seriously doubt my melanoma had much to do with the sun. It could have but I don't burn easily and I don't fit the profile. What has made me start spending some time with the sun full upon me again, was finding out that I've developed a vitamin D deficiency which explains some of my pain. Although I'm on a major suppliment and may not need the sun, it has made me realize how much I enjoy the feeling of the sun on my face now that I have a reason to enjoy a bit of it again. After my melanoma dx, I started avoiding being outside, except in the shade, during the full sun times of day. At first I also wore suncreen and hats but the past 6 months or so I haven't done that but have avoided the sun. I haven't sat on my deck during the time of day when the sun would fall on my face in 18 months. For the past few days I've been sitting on my deck in the full sun for short periods of time and it's good for my soul. I don't need to do it for very long but I do want to get a little vitamin D the natural way. I'm sure I had plenty of vitamin D before my melanoma diagnosis because I was outside a lot and besides I never had any symptoms of a deficiency. Amazing how a deficiency in vitamin D can explain my balance problems and my bone pain. I will take the mega suppliment I've been prescribed but I'm also going to let the sun fall on my face for at least 15 minutes a day because it feels great and I think that's sensible.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Carver,

It's been a while since I've been posting too much, I can't believe how much better things sound for you now. It sems like that monkey was on your back in a few ways, huh?

I've been leting the sun get to me a little bit lately, I don't think it's going to hurt me now (hah!) it feels good. I think it's psychological as well as physical, you know...?

It's good to see things looking a bit better for you!

Heather