Translate

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wish they wouldn't mow on the slope

I wish they would stop mowing the grass on the dam at Shelley Lake. There is something rather lovely about that sloping green, freshly mowed, hill with the runner on the dam path. What bothers me is I've seen it when they used to have tall grasses and wildflowers and other plants. That was not only beautiful but a great habitat for the many water birds and other wildlife that live there.I accept the soccer field being mowed. That field is also used for yoga in the park, occasional summer concerts and other purposes. I get that. Also, there are many side trails which are more natural and the vegetation is dense and the wildlife have more protection.I like the mixed used where you have parts of the greenway system with parks and recreational opportunities and then there are the trails which are more natural and secluded both for the wildlife and the people who want off trail hikes.
I think, overall, my city has done fairly well in terms of managing the parks and trails. I'm not complaining in general but the way the dam is mowed at this point bothers me because no one walks down the slope toward the lake or the slope on the other side of the dam towards the creek. That's almost exclusively an area where the ducks, geese, heron and egrets hang out, at least when it's not mowed to the quick.
The shot above shows the bottom of the hill (bottom of photo) and at least they keep the vegetation at the bottom for the wildlife. The part I don't understand is that it's not mowed so people can have access to the lake there. The lake access is readily available but that's not one of the places for people. It's steep and no one walks down there. I can't think of a single good reason why that hill isn't naturalized. Particularly since I've seen it when it was and it was such a great habitat.
I guess I could have stood in front of the city employee as he headed towards the dam and shouted, please don't mow. I didn't do that because he had a hot morning to be out there working and it's not like it was his fault. I suppose I could write a letter and ask why they don't let the grasses and wildflowers grow there anymore.

13 comments:

escape said...

i simply love green grass ground! perfect for golf. perfect for picnic.

SabineM said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the first shot!!!
Looks like a nice place, mowed or not! ;-)

Yolanda said...

I love the first shot too. Hope you are having a good week.

Michele said...

Either way, the photos are awesome!!! Beautiful! How perfectly greener can you get!? WOW.
Mountain Retreat Photos

jmb said...

I think you should write and ask Carver. Of course there may have been many letters asking for the "disgraceful mess" to be mowed. Some people only appreciate Nature when it is manicured beyond recognition.
Lovely photos as usual.

Carver said...

I appreciate all of you comments and I liked the way the first shot turned out too. I think I will write and express my opinion about keeping the slope more natural for the wildlife. It seems that at least the bottom half could provide shelter for the water birds.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

I can smell the mowed grass from here.

Theresa said...

I love the deep greenery and the smell of fresh cut grass.

I think letter writing is the way to go, (when something truly bothers me I do write letters- sometimes I hear back in a positive way- sometimes I don't) I agree standing in front of that huge moving mower was not the way to go, but you might of got an awsome head on picture!

Unknown said...

The green saturation is perfect on those shots. Very well done!

Barbara said...

The first is a lovely shot but I know what you are saying the wild flowers were probably beautiful. I hope you do write, it will be interesting to find out why they now cut it.

Anonymous said...

One of the important places near home is probably the park. Provides a place for the young and old to gather, exercise and have some good times.
I like the first picture a lot :)

Carver said...

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

Jazel said...

wow... i love green... jus dropin by.. can we exhange link? thnx