Translate

Monday, September 16, 2013

Nature Notes: Home and Lake Lynn

My dogwood trees are continuing to change colors ahead of the other trees.
naturenotesDSCN1663
Most of the cardinals at my bird baths are adults like the male below with only an occasional one still transitioning from the juvenile stage.
naturenotesDSCN1678
There are a lot of bluejays bathing.
naturenotesDSCN1711
I like the way the slender mushroom looks.
naturenotesDSCN1736
Since so few leaves are wearing their fall colors every time I spot one I photograph it.
naturenotesDSCN1753
Most of the American Robins I'm seeing lately are adults like the one below although I still occasionally see a juvenile.
naturenotesDSCN1761
I like how vivid the adult female cardinal's beak is.
naturenotesDSCN1779
The rest of the shots are from a walk at Lake Lynn. 
naturenotesDSCN1829
Since Shelley Lake is in my neighborhood, I don't go to Lake Lynn as often but it's only 4 miles from my house.
naturenotesDSCN1832
The grey geese were very noisy in contrast to the quiet swans.
naturenotesDSCN1863
There were four swans at the lake which is unusual.
naturenotesDSCN1866
Normally I only spot two swans at this lake.
naturenotesDSCN1875
The mallard below was off on her own.
naturenotesDSCN1882
It was a perfect day for a walk. Started off cool and gradually warmed up. 
naturenotesDSCN1883
I haven't been walking much this summer so good to at least walk on the weekend.
naturenotesDSCN1886
I like the way the trees canopy the bridge-boardwalk.
naturenotesDSCN1894
There were a lot of Canadian Geese as well as mallards, swans and grey geese.
naturenotesDSCN1896
The mallards below were heading up a creek.
naturenotesDSCN1903
I think geese look so beautiful when they flap their wings.
naturenotesDSCN1904
Below looks like a popular spot. 
naturenotesDSCN1905
I got some cool shadows.
naturenotesDSCN1907
I'll end with another grey goose or rather two.
naturenotesDSCN1937

12 comments:

Joyful said...

A lovely series of photos. I especially like to see the little birdies splashing around. Have a great week ahead.

Rambling Woods said...

Oh the gray geese look just like my late friend Benji..... Lovely walk Carver.... Michelle

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The second to the last goose picture looks like he's really giving what-for to the other one...I can almost hear him!

Your own nature preserve (AKA your yard) is wonderful as always and you are lucky to have two lovely lake walks nearby. Thanks for sharing this one. It really is beautiful.

Leora said...

A lovely selection of birds on your post. Fall is here - I welcome it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos, I love how close you get to the birds in your birdbath, so much detail in the photos!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

All of your pictures are wonderful but I just love that first one. It's so pretty and peaceful. Just the way fall comes in.

Karen said...

A delightful post carver, so many beautiful birds!

Hootin Anni said...

Beautiful birds...as I am an avid birder of course. I love the angle of some of your shots of them too.

And that little tiny mushroom/toadstool is darling. Almost mythical in a way [or fantasy].

eileeninmd said...

Great variety of birds there, Carver. I love the grey geese and the Killdeers are so cute. The swan is beautiful. Lovely photos!

magiceye said...

Precious captures!!

Reader Wil said...

All your photos are so beautiful and my comments must look very boring, for I keep saying that I learn a lot from you about birds, that your macros are perfect and that I enjoy visiting your blog!
Wil, ABCW Team

Pat said...

Beautiful series!