Translate

Monday, July 23, 2007

More fun with close ups

Is it just me or does this look like a garden fairy lost her dress in her hurry to escape the wicked witch? Or perhaps it's the end of an orientalis plume.Just think, the gold finches, hummers, and butterflies can feast away and there will be many, many more of these beauties to come as long as we continue to get the soaking rain we've had lately.
I think I almost like the seed head of the echanasia better than the flower which is saying a lot because I love the purple petals. However, when the petals drop off I get to enjoy the seed head for many weeks before it gets to the stage where I toss them to the wind in strategic locations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are really getting good at this close up stuff. I am watching some things really fade in our gardening endeavors...the foxgloves are done, to be sure.
But holy moley, the coreopsis and summer phlox are going nuts. The hostas have sprouts and the petunias are kicking into second gear.
This gardening stuff is very rewarding. And also strategic. :)
Love, K.

Back to a Joni quote...your garden fairy's dress reminded me but I left out the depressing 'side'.

Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons evrywhere
Ive looked at clouds that way.

-Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now(1967)

Carver said...

Hi Kim,

I'm glad you have so much blooming like crazy as the others are fading out. I'm with you about how rewarding this gardening stuff is.

I think Both Sides Now is one of the first songs I learned how to sing and play on the guitar at the same time (singing and playing together is harder for me than chewing gum and walking).

"Moons and junes and ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way"

Thank you Joni and thank you Kim for reminding me.

As ever, Carver