Translate

Monday, July 30, 2007

Closer, closer, closer

I may be going a little overboard with my close ups but I am entranced by how the closer I get, the more mystery there seems to be. I know I'm a bit silly with how I keep seeing the pistil as a mythical creature, but that is my first thought. I think wood nymph or fairy and almost never think pistil. I suppose part of the reason I'm fascinated by close up versions of what I see every day is because it lends a view not possible with the naked eye. The new view opens my imagination. Not that my imagination requires much prodding. I've always been quite comfortable in the land of pretend.Now that I've figured out more about how to get the macro view worked out with my latest camera, I am thinking about how to get better landscape shots too. I think a big part of it is remembering that unless I'm going to doctor up the shot with computer programs, I have to stop mentally editing what I shoot. Composition beyond the mental editing is another issue. Composition is easier with a close up. All I have to do with a close up is focus in on a tiny bit that interests me.That's not to suggest that with more attention to detail I can't improve on the close ups but they seem to take on a life of their own without much help from me. I am thinking more and more about taking a nature digital photography class. It wouldn't hurt and it might help. The lake I walk around which is close to where I live has a little arts center and they offer photography classes.
In a way it's rather odd that I haven't ever taken a photography class. It would be especially useful to take a class which is located somewhere I already enjoy taking pictures. There might be some simple techniques which would be useful for me to learn. It's nice to be thinking about something totally removed from melanoma. I almost hate to say that as if to name it I'll break the spell. However, it doesn't work like that. Even my imagination isn't quite developed enough to pretend my life hasn't changed as a result of having stage three melanoma but I can hopefully put it in its place and keep shifting and changing and learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ikes! You are starting to remind me of Georgia O'Keeffe...I do love her so!
These are just beautful...
Love, K.

Oh man, is this quote ever for you!

I often painted fragments of things because it seemed to make my statement as well as or better than the whole could.
-Georgia O'Keeffe

Carver said...

Hi Kim,

You blow me away with how you have the perfect quotes and in this case remind me of an artist I love but for some reason haven't thought about in a long time. One of these days I'll have to read back over the comments to refresh my memory on all of your quotes. They are so perfect! As ever, Carver