Translate

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Friends don't let friends buy annuals but I let them plant them from seeds

This is from Tony Avent's garden catalogue covers/T-shirts. I don't know him personally but we are the same age and went to the same high school, until I got shipped off to boarding school. I'm exagerrating, I stupidly wanted to go away to school. I figured that nowhere could be worse than Raleigh. I was wrong. I enjoyed Tony's column for our newspaper and when he stopped doing that and opened the amazing garden and nursery he now has, I was very pleased. He has open houses several times a year, where you can tour his garden and buy from his greenhouses. His main business though is mail order. He teaches classes as well as gives lectures on perennials across the U.S. and goes on plant collecting expeditions throughout the world. He has a great sense of humor and I love the, Friends don't let Friends buy annuals T-shirt. However, I do plant annuals and many of my annuals plant themselves from seeds left behind so it doesn't get much better than that. I should try to go to the Plant's Delight open house this fall. BF and I went the fall after all my icky symptoms hit and I felt like I was wandering around Tony's phenomenal bog garden like a drunken sailor. That was when my coordination was most effected before the neurontin built up to a high enough dose to control it. BF didn't mind being seen with me and I doubt the plants cared. I hope it's okay to put these graphics on my blog but hey maybe someone that stumbles here will follow the link to Plant's Delight Nursery and order some plants or even a T-shirt. The outlaw gardening catolgue cover was one of my favorites. I have a T-shirt which BF bought for me from Tony's which has a multicolored frog and says, It's not easy being variegated. Ain't that the truth. The older I get the more I understand that it's not easy for anyone. Some are just better at covering up than others. I've always tended to wear my life on my face in plain view and the older I get the more my attitude about wrinkles will be put to the test. I always loved heavily lined faces if the eyes still held a smile. Heavily lined faces on the defeated are no fun but otherwise are interesting to me. The older I get the more I understand the other side, involving wrinkle cream and extra care. It's one thing to appreciate the sings of age in others but a totally different proposition to appreciate it on my own face.

No comments: