Translate

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Nature Notes: First Nature Walk of April

Update: I accidentally put the photographs in at the large size I use on my other blog. That blog doesn't have a side bar of links but instead has archive links etc at the bottom of the page. After realizing my mistake on this one, I decided this time I'd leave it partly because I don't have time right now to fix it. Also, it's kind of nice to have the photos in a larger format although irritating to have the side bar floating over the top.

Sunday was a beautiful day for a walk. Everything seemed to be bursting into life.
natnoteshl5284
It's nice to see the new shoots of green bursting out.
natnotshlgrs5294
The Canadian geese must have seen something they liked in the dirt but I was surprised they weren't wading in the grasses as they often do.
natnotegsw5288
I was surprised by how many gulls I saw. When I walked at Shelley Lake in March most of them had left but they seem to have come back at least for a bit.
natnotgllw5342
Most of the gulls leave in the spring and don't come back until the fall.
natnotshgbr5321
I'm used to mostly seeing geese, duck and heron at the lake in the warmer months.
natnotshrf5291
We had a lot of wind on Saturday and I wonder if the tree was knocked down then.
natnotewlacp5303
I love this time of year when there is still a mix of browns and greens and new buds.
natnoteflwks5300
More and more of the dogwoods are blooming and they brighten up the trails and neighborhood alike.
natntflshw5313
I heard some noisy geese in the sheltered areas around the lake and expect they are nesting.
natnotwlktrw5307
In terms of the water, there were more gulls flying around than anything which is the opposite of a walk I took a few weeks ago.
natnoteshgl5336
I spotted some ducks hidden in the area below but couldn't get a clean shot of them.
natncrwlk5317
It was fun trying to catch the gulls in action shots as they were definitely active.
natnotglsg5338
The wisteria is starting to bloom and it covers many of the trees.
natnotwistsh5350
The light was great for reflections but hard to catch them perfectly when the gull is moving.
notenatglfl5337
Amazing to me how fast the grasses on the dam grow after a winter of brown.
natnotgrssh5351
Click for the home of nature notes.

12 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow these pictures are wonderful!
It's so nice to see all critters there enjoying the sunny day, the water!
Léia

Judy said...

I wish I could have gone on the walk with you. Seeing your wonderful photos tho, it felt like I did.

Nicole said...

Ah, I so enjoy seeing the clear, bright green and blue in the first and last shot.
Beautiful!
And most of the fellows you are seeing now have left the area here already :(
I am with Judy, would love to take that round with you (and especially breath the spring air)

EG CameraGirl said...

It really does look like it's greening up there! I have seen a tiny, tiny bit of green her so hope to be able to post green NEXT week.

Thanks for taking us on your walk!

??? said...

I really like the first photo. Thanks for sharing the walk with us.

Leora said...

All are great photos, but that top one, with the small people, big sky and wide expanse is special.

Whenever you show your lake, it makes me happy. We had a lake near home when I was a kid. And I have good memories of vacations with lakes.

Caron said...

Ahhh, blue and green. The perfect combination.

KaHolly said...

Lovely shots. Is that a butterfly in the picture with the 'active' gull?? My, goodness. Pretty neat!

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

your photos as always beautiful


But, did u see how the layout of your blogs looks? I dont knopw if the problem is on my browser, but from here, I can see the BIG PHOTOS u have uploaded and part of sidebar is on the photos. If u want, I can send a printscreem to u.
nice day
http://graceolsson.com/blog/2011/04/life/

ev said...

It's ok Carver..in life, not all have to be in proportion..:)

very nice photos you have here usual.

MyMaracas said...

It's great to see green again and all the birds active. I enjoyed going on your walk with you.

Rambling Woods said...

Thank you for reminding me that there is beauty here even though it is more brown than green. Lovely and it is nice to have the larger photos but I remember how it caused my former blogger blog to go wonky..Michelle