Translate

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Today's Flowers: What a difference a day or so makes

Friday morning I checked on my helleborus (lenten rose) which has gotten ahead of itself, become droopy from the cold, and then rebounded.
Photobucket
Saturday morning I went back to the same plant and oh what a difference a day made.
Photobucket
The next comparison is between two days. The tulip tree is always hit and miss but hopefully it's not too far along this year. The shot below is from Thursday.
Photobucket
The next shot is this Saturday morning. In some ways the snow protects buds but this go round it already melted off the trees during the day and then got very cold Saturday night.
Photobucket
One of these days I'll do a Today's Flowers post without the continuing saga of the camellias but I couldn't resist the next two shots.
Photobucket
One reason I keep featuring the camellias is that I expect these winter blooms may be about it as the buds are starting to show black spots.
Photobucket
I like the way the seed head has a snow cap on top turning it into a snow flower.
Photobucket
The last shot isn't flowers at all but these red berries covered in snow look like flowers to me.
Photobucket
Please visit the home of Today's flowers for participants from around the world. Happy Valentine's Day!

16 comments:

Carletta said...

Your weather has been different this year from the past hasn't it. Much colder it seems.
What a BIG difference the day made.
I love the tulip tree shot against the sky - lovely!

eileeninmd said...

Very pretty photo, Happy Valentines Day!

Gunilla said...

A big different.
Here we have still alot of snow so we have to wait until spring to see any flowers.
The Helleborus is a fantastic plant that blooms when it´s cold.

Have a great week
Gunilla

Caron said...

Are those flowers going to make it? I can't imagine things blooming here in Iowa right now.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carver: The snow adds to the beauty as long as the plants are safe.

happily retired gal said...

Nifty series ... I'm amazed at how your plants respond with resilience to the differences in your changing weather ;-)
Hugs and blessings,
Small Reflections

eden said...

Beautiful series of images you captured here. I love the flowers with the snow cap on it. They so lovely.

SandyCarlson said...

Wonderful shots. So promising.

Unknown said...

Oups
Hope they'll survive!

Unknown said...

Oups
Hope they'll survive!

VALKYRIEN said...

I really hope your flowers will survive being covered with snow! Beautiful shots!

KaHolly said...

Enjoyed this post today!

wenn said...

love the 3rd flower!

mommanator said...

great shots. loved the red seeds. O and dont wory posting about the Camelia, shows just how hardy they are and maybe some should get them

Anonymous said...

oh wow that is a lovely contrast. it reminds me of life's seasons. thanks.

DeniseinVA said...

I for one hope you will keep sharing your camellia's. I think they're lovely but I always enjoy your photos whatever they are.