Translate

Friday, March 16, 2007

All this and Rain Too

Going on my neighborhood walks this week, it's been all I could do to keep myself from bursting out into Mr. Roger's song - It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. I can't remember an earlier spring. It's not just the spring flowers that always come fairly early here. The trees and flowering shrubbery are way ahead of schedule. The only missing ingredient has been a rejuvenating soaking rain and starting last night the rain came and is continuing today. We're supposed to get a hard freeze tomorrow night but I don't mind that either. I enjoyed having a warmer week and was knocked over by how beautiful everything has looked, but I'm not in a hurry for hot weather. It's nice to get the back and forth days of spring where one day is a hint of summer and the next a cold blast of winter. The timing of the rain is perfect too because in addition to needing it to nourish the hordes of seedlings that are sprouting, the birds are going to be happy. The robins have been out in full force and it's hard for them to have to peck at dry ground. I can't wait to walk around after the rain stops and see the robins going to town on the soft ground. The timing of the rain was good for my exercise efforts because I've been walking farther and more frequently this week and I need a day of rest. I also have a lot of work I need to get done. I've had some success this week listening to my body. Figuring out when to slow down, where to put my weight, which way to lean. Sounds nutty but it helps. I can do short jogging intervals as long as I don't stretch out too far. I've always had a very long stride and like to extend pretty far but I can't do that beyond a walk without causing problems. I'm not sure but it may have something to do with the nodes which were removed from my adductor muscle. A physical therapist is the one who told me I have a hole in that muscle and I recalled mention of the adductor muscle nodes on my pathology report and asked her if that was the muscle she was talking about and she said yes. I would think that it would have filled in and repaired its self but I don't know the mechanics of how that works. Oh well, I am doing much better now that I am considering how movement feels and finding ways to move that aren't aggravating this or that pesky dealie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Second to the right, and straight on 'till morning.

Drink it all in, my friend.