Translate

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Signs of new life

There is so much going on outside that it invigorates me. In spite of how cold it's been lately, the warm spell sent out signals that spring was on it's way and the signs of new life are everywhere. So far no indication of damage to the tender shoots. Maybe they aren't so tender after all. I think a lot may depend on how long the colder spells last. Everything seems to be able to tolerate the back and forth weather but there are limits to how long some plants survive the cold. Either way I'm happy to have a blast of cold air to wake me up as well as the signs of spring to come. I can't believe it's been close to two months since my latest effort to be as physically active as possible. I'm averaging out at walking every other day although at first I was walk/jogging 4 to 5 days a week and lately that's dropped down. The important thing to me is I'm not giving in to the pull of intertia. Something that helps me not totally lose momentum is that I've noticed the fluid backs up in my foot if I go more than 5 days without an exercise type walk which is distinct from running errand type walking which doesn't seem to do me as much good. I do think trying to walk as much as possible is important to keep the mild case of lymphedema, which I have, in check. On that score I've been pretty lucky. I think walking is an important factor for me in terms of not having a worse case of lymphedema than I do. I'm killing time while awaiting my new dryer. My old dryer lasted 23 years. I know that I'll sound like an old codger but the problem I have with replacing appliances is new appliances seem to break down after 6 or 7 years while the older ones lasted well over 20 years. It's kind of fun to get a new appliance but in my old codger way I think about how the new ones get replaced 2 to 3 times before the ones I haven't replaced yet break down, or that's how it was in the past. At this point the only thing I haven't replaced at least once is the central air. I've replaced the heat twice which is one reason I'm reluctant to replace the AC until it breaks because if I replace it, I'll end up replacing it again. Yep, I'm turning into an old codger.

No comments: