Translate

Monday, June 24, 2013

Nature Notes: late June

Some of my coneflowers (echinacea) are starting to form flowers.
naturenotesDSCN8699
There are hundreds of bees (not sure what kind of bee the one below is) that are busy on my porcelain vine (Ampelopsis brevipenduculata).
naturenotesDSCN8690
The American Robin was shaking off the water so hard that it looked like she had hair covering her eyes.
naturenotesDSCN8657
The blackberry vines are beginning to form berries. They are growing through the porcelain vine so most of the visible leaves are from the porcelain vine.
naturenotesDSCN8643
There are hundreds of bumblebees mixed in with the smaller bees.
naturenotesDSCN8637
The bumblebees flit around amongst the different flowers.
 naturenotesDSCN8614
I have a lot of brown thrashers in my yard.
naturenotesDSCN8561
The mourning dove pair were sharing a bird bath.
naturenotesDSCN8494
The juvenile cardinal and american robin were sure about sharing.
naturenotesDSCN8473
The carolina wren finally stayed still long enough for a photo.
naturenotesDSCN8451
There are a bunch of juvenile cardinals this year.
naturenotesDSCN8447
There were eight or so on my deck at the same time.
naturenotesDSCN8445
I like how soft their feathers look after a bath.
naturenotesDSCN8443
I like the dusky beaks on the juvenile females.
naturenotesDSCN8439
I finally managed to get some shots when the bird baths were relatively clean.
naturenotesDSCN8437
I love the way cardinals tilt their heads.
naturenotesDSCN8425

10 comments:

Judy said...

What a great series of photos! I can't wait until my coneflowers are bloomed.

Karen said...

Lots of activity in your yard Carver! Terrific bee shots, and I always enjoy seeing the birds in the bath!

eileeninmd said...

I think all the birds in your neighborhood must love your birdbath. I just love all the bath shots. Wonderful collection of photos, Carver.

SandyCarlson said...

So much life and promise and energy in these pictures!

Rambling Woods said...

I love seeing all the pollinators in your yard... Wow.... This made me smile..... Michelle

magiceye said...

Loved the bird pics!!

Reader Wil said...

Very lovely bird photos! You had a lot of winged visitors!

DeniseinVA said...

Those are great! I love to see the birds enjoying their bathing, and your other photos were very enjoyable.
Happy Wednesday!
Denise
An English Girl Rambles

MyMaracas said...

There sure is a lot to see in your back yard. Fun shots!

A Colorful World said...

Great shots, Carver! The birds really love the bird baths you have for them!