Translate

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Nature Notes: welcome cool down

Whenever I walk out into my back yard there are a ton of mourning doves in the grasses below.
001naturenotesDSCN9012
I wish I could get a shot of the mourning doves as they fly out of the grasses but they are too fast for me so I have to settle for catching them on the deck.
001naturenotesDSCN9071
I am enjoying the cool temperatures so much. I love this time of year.
001naturenotesDSCN9266
Cottontail rabbits definitely live up to their name. The tail looks exactly like a cotton ball.
001naturenoteDSCN9306
I've been catching a lot of shots lately out of my front windows.
001naturenotesDSCN9312
I wish the light had been better on the male cardinal above and the rufous-sided towhee below.
001naturenotesDSCN9323
The bluejay below was showing off its personality but the lighting was poor.
001naturenotesDSCN9325
It is interesting how some of the birds seem to prefer the front bird baths and others prefer to bathe on my deck.
001naturenotesDSCN9327
It looks like the bluejay is heading into a spider web below.
001naturenotesDSCN9330
The tufted titmouse was watching the bluejay and waiting its turn for the bird bath.
001naturenotesDSCN9340
I'm not sure why but I usually don't see the titmouse in the summer.
001naturenotesDSCN9341
Mushrooms are continuing to pop up all over my yard.
001naturenoteDSCN9376
I wish I knew enough to figure out which are edible.
001naturenoteDSCN9378
More trees are starting to show signs of change.
001naturenoteDSCN9394
Here and there the virginia creeper are changing colors.
001naturenoteDSCN9407
The only thing I don't like about the mushrooms is they are starting to have a noticeable odor.
001naturenoteDSCN9427
The mallards love to hang out in this protected part of the lake.
001naturenoteDSCN9469
The ones below were so well hidden that the only reason I zoomed in on them was I thought they were red leaves. Then I realized I was seeing the mallard's feet.
001naturentoDSCN9472
The goldenrod is still flowering. I love the way they look draped along the path I walk on.
001naturenoteDSCN9482
Click for the home of nature notes.

8 comments:

Tina´s PicStory said...

very nice collection of natur :)

Dianne said...

beautiful shots!!
I have a pair of doves that hang out above my driveway all morning

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful Autumn -- I am getting more and more into the mood of the season after hanging on desperately to summer for too long. Thanks to posts like yours.
PS: Don't eat the mushrooms.

??? said...

The titmouse is adorable with its huge eyes. Lovely collection of critters and plants.

Leora said...

Mushroom odor - have you had a lot of rain like we had?

I've been seeing a few bluejays here, but they seem to want to fly south to your place.

I saw a bunny last week in a neighbor's yard - I thought at first it was a squirrel. My daughter was disappointed that she missed seeing it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely photos, specially of the tufted titmice, they're such characterful birds! I love the photo of the bunny too!

Rambling Woods said...

The doves must be going after some of the seeds in the grass..I don't see titmice in the summer either. I have them all winter and spring and then they disappear and are only now coming back as I have peanuts in one of the feeders which they love.. The birds may prefer one bath over another because of the water depth or some other reason. But certain of my birds go to the more shallow bath and others to the deeper one...Michelle

squirrel said...

I enjoyed your observations and photo to go along with then. Isn't nature wonderful and interesting!