Translate

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Nature Notes: fungi, birds, plumes, rocks and trails


There are so many toadstools growing in my yard that they are becoming the main area of interest for my camera.
nantnoteDSCN8480
There are signs that something is eating the ones I'm sure are poisonous.
natnoteDSCN8477
I wonder if most animals have a built in sense of what they can safely eat.
nantnoteDSCN8468
I'm not so sure though that the domesticated animals like cats and dogs are able to rely on a safety sense.
natnoteDSCN8463
The dogs in my neighborhood rarely run loose but the cats tend to roam more freely.
nantnoteDSCN8720
I expect that insects are part of what feeds on the fungi.
nantnoteDSCN8719
I love the way some of my perennial grass plumes are bending into circles.
nantnoteDSCN8710
I'm not sure what happens to encourage these circles.
nantnoteDSCN8708
The squirrels aren't wasting anytime laying claim to the pecans that fall from my tree.
nantnotesDSCN8699
The birds crack me up with their pool parties.
nantnoteDSCN8692
Walking on a trail I noticed some of the berries turning red on the trees.
nantnoteDSCN8658
There are more and more wildflowers making a comeback with the rain and cooler temperatures.
nantnoteDSCN8651
I'm reminding myself to enjoy the green before the leaves all change and fall.
nantnoteDSCN8630
The creek was so full of reflections I could hardly see any plain water.
nantnoteDSCN8628
I love the big rocks on this one trail I like to walk on.
nantnoteDSCN8615
I'm also partial to these grasses and plumes along the sunnier places by the creek.
nantnoteDSCN8607
Another shot to appreciate the green while it lasts.
nantnoteDSCN8594
Back home another squirrel has a feast on the pecans that have dropped onto my deck.
nantnoteDSCN8583
Another humongous toadstool that has popped up in my yard.
nantnoteDSCN8577
The female cardinal is giving me a coy look as she enjoys her bath.
nantnoteDSCN8543
The catbird looks very content with her bath.
nantnoteDSCN8539
For some reason the catbird often gets the big bath all to herself.
LinknantnoteDSCN8535
Click for the home of nature notes.

8 comments:

Indrani said...

You have such colorful toadstools.
I love your squirrel captures.

Rose said...

I so love some of these shots...actually I like them all...some just a bit more than the others.

Judy said...

Beautiful shots here! I have found mushrooms in our woods but nothing as pretty as these.

Leora said...

Lovely fungi collection! Your birds taking baths are always so calm and happy.

LindyLouMac said...

I love all your photos,how wonderful to see pampas grass growing wild. Thankyou for your recent visit and comment on News From Italy, I do hope you will call by again.

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour dear Carver,
Awesome set of beautiful nature images, that squirrel is my favorite one, he is so cute!
Léia

Annie said...

Those mushrooms are awesome! I once saw a garden slug eating a poisonous mushroom in my yard - maybe they aren't poison to them?

Love the pool party too!

Rambling Woods said...

Blogger is making it very difficult to comment taking multiple tries. Interesting question about learning what to eat...some from the parents, others from trial and error...great post Carver..