Translate

Friday, May 28, 2010

Photohunters: memorial


The photohunters theme this week is memorial. I thought I'd show you some photos I have taken of Raleigh, NC's Memorial Auditorium.
Photobucket
Memorial Auditorium was built in 1932 to replace the original 1912 City Auditorium which burned down in 1930. It was named Memorial Auditorium to honor Raleigh citizens who served their country during World War I.
Photobucket
This coming Monday is Memorial Day which is a day of remembrance in the U.S. for those who died in their nation's service. Formerly called Decoration Day, this day was first celebrated at the end of the American Civil War to honor those who died in that war. The first observance was in 1866 in Waterloo, NY. The alternate name of Memorial Day was first used in 1882 in some places, but didn't become more common until after World War II. In 1967 Memorial Day became the official name and was signed into federal law. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Saturday is the post day on the home site of Photohunters.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice bulding and thanks for all historic informations...
nice weekend, dear
http://graceolsson.com/blog/2010/05/christian-the-firsts-portrait/

LifeRamblings said...

Happy memorial day. I hope you enjoy your fun-filled holiday weekend.

Heart of Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing the history behind it. Happy Memorial Day.

I haven't posted mine yet. I just came to visit early for a change. :)

ipanema said...

nice choice Carver. thanks for sharing.

happy memorial day!

Sue said...

We celebrate Remembrance Day here in Canada and it is in November. I think both Memorial Day, and Rememberance Day are very important holidays, and we should never forget. Great pics, and perfect choice for the theme :)

Cezar and Léia said...

Great post dear Carver, you did a great homage here!
Happy weekend,
hugs
Léia

Squirrel said...

Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend.

Annie said...

It really is a beautiful building. I can't remember if I've ever been inside.

Have a great holiday weekend!

jams o donnell said...

Great take on the theme. And thanks for telling me what Decoration day was. It's a day I've heard mentioned but I never knew what it was for. Happy weekend

jmb said...

A lovely building and a fitting memorial Carver.

Happy Memorial Weekend to you.

YTSL said...

It's interesting to think how some really nice structures can get erected to memorialize some really horrible events (e.g., a world war)...

Colin Campbell said...

Always interesting to understand some of the history of buildings.

Unknown said...

wonderful photos. a classic beauty.

CRIZ LAI said...

Now I know more of your history. Great one there Carver. :)

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

Mariposa said...

Nice building. Thank you for sharing. :)

I'm a bit late, but here is my entry -

Mariposa's PhotoHunt

bonggamom said...

Happy Memorial Day!

My photohunt post is up

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the information, Carver. It's nice to visit Photo Hunt participants and learn about places we haven't visited.

http://blondesherry.blogspot.com/2010/05/ph-memorial.html

marta said...

Interesting that there are so many Memorial Auditoriums. There was one in the town I grew up also. Similar also in design.

Scott Law said...

Wow, I didn't know all that. Excellent take on this weeks theme. Thanks for dropping by my blog and I hope I see you again soon.

eden said...

Beautiful series of photos.

Have a great week !